Overclocker pushes 14-year-old Celeron D 347 processor to 8.36GHz

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Intel’s Celeron line of processors debuted in the late 90s as a more affordable alternative to its pricier Pentium II line and to challenge rivals like AMD and Cyrix in the entry-level segment. Early models also developed a reputation among enthusiasts as being excellent overclockers and some are still being tinkered with to this day.

A case in point is this recent achievement from Chinese overclocker ivanqu0208 who managed to push an Intel Celeron D 347 from its base frequency of 3.06GHz all the way up to 8.36GHz.

Related reading: Memorable Overclocking-Friendly CPUs

The Celeron D 347 is a single-core CPU that originally launched in the fourth quarter of 2006. It is built on a 65nm process and features 512KB of L2 cache with an 86W TDP.

ivanqu0208 utilized an Asus P5E64 WS Professional motherboard, a 2GB stick of DDR3 memory and liquid nitrogen during the overclock. Microsoft Windows XP was the OS of choice.

As impressive as 8,362.21MHz is out of a 14-year-old CPU, it’s not even the world record. According to HWBot, ivanqu0208’s overclock ranks in second place. The top overclock for the Celeron D 347, at 8,516.17MHz, was submitted by Chinese overclocker wytiwx back in 2013.

Image courtesy ivanqu0208

Permalink to story.

""top overclock for the Celeron D 347, at 8,516.17MHz""

And he stopped there because that's as fast as a Celeron needed to go.

I do wonder if we use contemporary manufacturing nodes to build the old CPUs, how fast will they clock?

Why stop there? Intel should have 10nm in production soon. Or have TSMC do it on 5nm. Might hit 20GHz or more, without cooling. Might need special memory.
Intel has 10nm shipping, I have two different 10nm laptops, but that's all that is shipping is laptops.

I do wonder if we use contemporary manufacturing nodes to build the old CPUs, how fast will they clock?
Why was the Pentium 4 design abandoned? Because at a smaller node, it would have had to have been slowed down to avoid it running too hot. So designs have to be changed for newer nodes to take advantage of the speedup the node offers in ways that the node allows for.

Back