Overclocking laptop video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dood

I have an Hp nx9420 laptop, intel core duo 1.66Ghz, 512 ddr2 533 Mhz, and an ati radeon x1600 mobility , 256mb/128 bit. I`ve tried to play HL2, Doom 3, and so on,and i got better results of a Amd athlon64 3000+,512 ddr 400mhz,and geforce fx5200, 128mb/128 bit desktop computer.How can that be? do i need something special to boost the ati radeon to its potential,cause the extra 128 mb of memory and the better system memory should definitely improve performance,not to mention the duo core...of so,what do i need?and if there isn`t anything special,how the heck do i overclock it and what would a "safe overclocking" for this laptop be ?
Thanks,and keep in mind,this is an expensive laptop,so experiments aren't wellcomed... :D

Laptop is for gaming..

Then what should i do to get it to do better in games? that`s the real question(keeping in mind that I DO NOT want to burn anything in the laptop:D)

Intel core duo's are slow, slow, SLOW processors.

There is NO way a core duo 1.66 will touch even an Athlon 2500+ desktop, nonetheless a 3000+.

Perhaps you could run some benchmarks? It's possible the performance you are receiving is correct for your system? While the X1600 is a better 3d card, it'll be very much crippled by the slower processor.

I'm sorry but Intel core duo and core 2 duo are the fastest processors in the world. Even though there clock speeds are slower they really are the fastest and the best processor currently on the market

Geekie-
You are confusing Core 2 with Core Duo's. The core duo's are socket 479, old, and designed for mobile/laptop use. They are very, very slow.

Core 2's are the fastest in the world. NOT the Core Solo/Duo mobility chips hehe.

sorry I forgot now I think of it they dont have core 2 mobile out yet sorry your right it does get sort of confusing

Sharkfood said:
Geekie-
You are confusing Core 2 with Core Duo's. The core duo's are socket 479, old, and designed for mobile/laptop use. They are very, very slow.

Core 2's are the fastest in the world. NOT the Core Solo/Duo mobility chips hehe.

Core duo's are by no means slow, they are essentially the same speed as the newer core 2 duos, with the core 2 winning by very small margins(note the core 2 is 64bit though, so that's a plus). Also note that I am comparing the core 2 duo (merom) for laptop/mobile use to the previous core duo. The desktop core 2 duo (conroe) is somewhat faster than the mobile version.

The core 2 is a big leap for intel's desktop chips, since the pentium d sucked so badly, but the core duo is/was a good mobile chip, and the core 2 isn't such a large upgrade for the the mobile segment IMO.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=11
The OP mentioned doom3 and hl2. The benchmark has quake4(doom3 basically), and hl2 on it so it should be a good comparison.

My guess is the OP's hp has tons of hp bloatware which is slowing it down a lot, because a core duo 1.66 and a x1600 would certainly beat a 3000+ and a fx5200, mainly due to the graphics cards in comparsion.

Edit:
Intel core duo's are slow, slow, SLOW processors.

There is NO way a core duo 1.66 will touch even an Athlon 2500+ desktop, nonetheless a 3000+.

Perhaps you could run some benchmarks? It's possible the performance you are receiving is correct for your system? While the X1600 is a better 3d card, it'll be very much crippled by the slower processor.
The core duo(mobile) could pretty much keep up with the newer (desktop) athlon x2 cpus, so it should easily compete with a single core athlon xp 3000+.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2648&p=12

vnf4ultra said:
The core duo(mobile) could pretty much keep up with the newer (desktop) athlon x2 cpus, so it should easily compete with a single core athlon xp 3000+.
I have *never* gotten good performance from *any* of the HP laptops featuring the core duo mobile cpu's.

That anaand's article is using a M to 478 converter in a fantastic motherboard (asus p4p series) and it's pretty amazing what such a hardware engineering mod can do to pump performance out of one of these cores, but sadly core duo laptops do no enjoy the same performance... not even close.

While hp bloatware is possible, as well as power management is possibly afoot, these core duo laptops take *forever* to just boot up to windows, and even after a clean OS install, they perform worse than their previous (and similarly crippled) P4 series.

Sharkfood said:
While hp bloatware is possible, as well as power management is possibly afoot, these core duo laptops take *forever* to just boot up to windows, and even after a clean OS install, they perform worse than their previous (and similarly crippled) P4 series.

Have you considered that laptops typically use 4200 or 5400rpm hard drives, which also tend to come with lower amounts of cache?
The hard drive plays a big role in boot time.

It's not hard drive I/O bound issues.. it's specifically cpu bound.

Those anaand benchmarks- also, if you put a Celeron 2.0ghz in the graphs, it would be scoring near the Core 2's there are well since those are GPU bound conditions given the smaller, low memory bandwidth of the gpu's used.

I can tell you've had little experience with the HP nx-series laptops (previously Compaq). They are total performance dogs. Good for business use, but even with Core Duo's and mobility radeons, they do not perform well at all.

I'd ask the original poster to run some SiSoft Sandra tests so you can see what the reality is. Even their P4-2.8ghz line can barely pull 900mb/s bandwidth on ddr-333's. Their Core Duo line with ddr667's are also crippled, just not to the same degree.

We just got through testing three of the nx Core Duo laptop lines at my work. Completely fresh installations with no bloatware and most Sony Celeron Mobility laptops are running circles around them. We've also built/tested many desktops with Core Duo and found, unless you modify some socket 478 mainboards (as Anaand has done), you just can't get any decent performance from them and are better off with Pentium D or Celeron M cpu's.

Tell you what,the Hp bloatware you`re talking about is definitely NOT the case here,since i`ve installed everything by my choice,without all the crap that HP places on the preconfigured models.The hard disk is , of course a 5400 rpm,standard,but really just as good as my WD 7200 rpm / 8 mb on my other computer,the fx 5200 desktop.I don`t have to be a rocket scientist to know that the mobile versions of everything,like the processor and video cards cand be a match for the desktop versions of the same brands...however,for example. on quake 3 , 1280x1024, high details and maximum settings,the average framerate is about 300-350,while the desktop keeps it at a tops 250 fps . I will however run SiSandra and other benchmarcks you guys reccommended and i`ll let you know what i found out.
And as a matter of fact,the desktop is an Amd Athlon 64, 3000+, and still boots slower than this duo core 1.66 . And even though my desktop has 1 Gigs of Ddr 400, this 512 ddr2 of the laptop outperforms the other one.
Therefore my intrigue why the laptop doesn`t pump uout the game`s full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back