Overclocking no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb444

Hi, im quite new to all this and (if i can ever get my computer working) I was thinking of overclocking the am2 x2 4200+ just to get my moneys worth (bought a Zalamn CNP9500 AM2 for it).
But having read here and many other sites about the extra cooling needed, and the reduced life of components, I figured that the extra money spent on replacing components (50% reduced life for every 10C incrase in temp i read somewhere) and the extra cost of the hardware.
Wouldnt it be a helluva lot easier just to spend that money on better components and save yourself the hassle while getting longer life out of your pc?
I'm happy to be corrected its just from what ive read overclocking gives the same performance increase per pound spent as forking out for a better processor, faster RAM etc.

everyones gonna have their own opinions of overclocking. Pros is that you can (depending on how good your hardware is) achive the same or exceed the power/speed of next model up (sometimes) without paying the extra $$ to start with, and obvious brag rights (lookie here.. mines better than yours!:D). Cons is as you've mentioned heat and reduced life, not to mention that some OCs can void warranty..

Of course, since OC does put more stress on the PC, adequate cooling is advised so you can OC to a more noticable level and still keep some stability at that level. hence it wouldn't be advisable to do this kind of thing if you live in the Simpson Desert without an air con...

That is, as you say, if you can get your PC to work first before attempting to OC it :)

Although if you're the kind of person who buys tech every 3-6 months or so often i don't think that lifespan will bother you, since you'd probably move on to something new before it goes anywhere near dieing

I agree with N3051M. You can overclock 10% on most systems with stock cooling and not shoot your temps up 10C. The reduced lifespan is also something I hear discussed as a con all the time, but when is the last time you heard of a processor wearing out? I bet never - because regular people don't ever use processors long enough that they wear out. Cut never in half and you still have never.

hi jb444,

as far as temperatures are concerned, as long as you stay within the CPU's safe operating range then there's nothing to worry about. Athlon64's have a max operating temp of 65°C. since you have already upgraded your cooling, you should have no isssues.

as far as lifespan is concerned, the general lifespan of a processor is about 10 years. so even if you cut that in half you still have many years before it would ever become an issue.

as far as your "moneys worth" is concerned, you could probably get a stable 300MHz-500MHz overclock on your 4200+ without running too hot. you shouldn't have to buy anything else (besides the upgraded air cooler you already have), so looking at it that way I would say that you could easily squeeze out more juice than you paid for :)

*make sure you research how to overclock before you attempt it. it can be fun and rewarding, but you must know what you're doing first and you must know your limits. if you just jump right into it without the proper knowledge, then there's a good chance that you'll fry your hardware (you and you alone are at fault if that happens). that being said...

cheers and happy overclocking (if you choose to do so ;))

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back