Overclocking without extensive damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_head

Hey guys, i read all the stuff warning that overclockin will reduce your computer life and you need better cooling and stuff like that. What if you want to only slightly overclock? Just like 10% on my cpu or ram or something? If no extensive damage or cooling system is needed, i figured y not? Thoughts?

10% is a small overclock. it's generally is safe with regards to overheating, but it wouldn't give you any noticeable performance boost either. don't set a percentage limit, just push it as far as you can without overheating it.

to significantly overclock you need either a very efficient, cool running processor, or you need more effective cooling.

I wouldn't worry about the lifespan issue. as long as you keep it cool it should last for years. chances are it would become obsolete long before it burned out. I still have working AthlonXPs that were run overclocked for a few years.

:wave:

well the thing is, i want to overclock a laptop. how would i improve the cooling system on that? i don't think there's room for more fans...maybe a better one or something?

I very much doubt that overclocking a lappy is even possible as heat would be too much of an issue.

It being a lappy, the bios probably wont have any overclocking functions either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back