Overheating or PSU problems, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! I'm putting a new system together and I am having serious problems. I've been trying to install XP Pro for days and can't even get through the setup -- it reboots at the legal notice! I've updated to the latest BIOS. Tried another HD, swapped out the mem sticks (I only have two to test with so both being bad is a possiblity). In addition to the reboots, it just shot off completely and when I turned it back on, the mobo starts beeping with the over-heat siren (checking the BIOS event log shows that it shut down due to overheating). Also, it has hung-up without a video signal (monitor goes into powersave mode) and the system fans and lights switching between hi and low speed/brightness on a two second cycle. The BIOS hardware monitor reports the processor temp goes to 90C within 10 minutes. The reason I am also concerned about the PSU is that the BIOS reports 12V rail starts out at 11.9v and goes to 10.4v within a few minutes.

Configuration:
Aspire X-QPack, 420W PSU (label says 12V can handle 30A)
mobo: Intel D945GTPLR
P4 550 (3.4Ghz)
Corsair 512MB DDR2/PC2 5300
DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA150

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I guess I'll go paint my shed while this thing cools off!

Sounds like your CPU fan isn't seated right. I'd take it off and re-seat it, but you're going to need to clean all the old thermal paste (or tape) first with a good solvent, then reapply new paste and mount. You are running WAY too hot.

Disclaimer: Don't take my word as if I am a pro. I have only started building computers about a year ago. Wait until some of the old timers come around before following what I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back