p2p networks are really good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelOfLighT

p2p networks are really good?
i thin it slow your pc, worms, and virus come.
its any point to have them?
couse is slow your pc too.
any sugestions?

P2P networks are not inherently bad, as long as the software you use to connect to them is not malicious, and you don't use them to download malicious/pirated software.

The problem with some P2P networks is that the softare used is malicious itself, like Kazaa. And it's easy to download viruses/spyware/etc. using P2P. Also, there's a lot of pirated content, which is illegal.

I use Limewire and Torrent software, albeit Limewire does carry a lot of Viri, but its easily spotted as they are usually small files, the torrents I download come from a very reputable site where Viri are never found in any of the files.

On the flip side there are some torrent sites that are untrusted and Viri are easily available the same as anywhere, rules are , if its source is unknown then dont touch it.

Regards

AngelOfLighT said:
i thin it slow your pc, worms, and virus come.
No, P2P software does not slow your computer any more than any other program. Your own stupidity does when you download untrusted (and illegal) software.
P2P networks do not have any more worms than any other networks like instant messengers or Windows file sharing.
No, (respected) P2P software does not give you viruses. Your own stuidity does when you download untrusted (and illegal) software.

p2p programmes are very useful. nevertheless they are only any good if you use them cautiousely.
i like the saying, "things are only as good as the fool with the mouse".

no P2P just arent spyware/malware or virus in itself. agreed KAZAA is a culprit.
but LIMEWIRE, SHAREAZA, WAREZ, EMULE, arent a problem.
P2P allows you to download files from someone else computer... so if you download files such as .exe, .com, .rar or .zip and others, you need to first scan it for virus... cause the data cant be reliable.
pictures, music and movies can be downloaded without any hassels.
maybe the p2p you have, had already been infected by a virus. download the software from a reliable source.
P2P doesnt slow the computer either... only that they eat your internet bandwidth (depending on your usage of the P2P).
they may slow the computer when your're sharing many files... so when the p2p starts, it needs to either index the file or make it ready to share with other peers... this will happen only when the p2p initializes so chill out till its done.

Actually, data files may not be safe either. Anyone remember the Microsoft GDI+ vulnerability? System compromise via a JPEG file, yay!

Nodsu said:
Actually, data files may not be safe either. Anyone remember the Microsoft GDI+ vulnerability? System compromise via a JPEG file, yay!

Nope must have missed that one, got a link for info on it ?

Regards

I mainly use uTorrent, a client of Bittorrent. Although there may be alot of pirated software out there, you can also find many other things out there like Linux Distrobutions :D ! I find that torrents are safer, and I've never had any problems with them.

matav said:
but LIMEWIRE, SHAREAZA, WAREZ, EMULE, arent a problem.
SHAREAZA, WAREZ, EMULE all suc...
WAREZ P2P is no longer even available
try ARES
ARES rox... even better than limewire, i was popular on limewire but i've switched to ares cauz it gives me better download speeds.

P2P programs with UPnP and with JAVA is the quickest
ARES is very good and fast

Deaciated build PC running these programs with network tweaks you would have very good stable downloader/seeder..

1. Good AV program
2. Good Spyware program
3. Good firewall
4. Adware blocker/popup blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back