Page fault in nonpaged area

TC Basset

I had a HD failure and after reformatting the PC can only boot up in safe mode. When I try to boot up in normal mode, after the welcoming Windows sound I get BSOD and in the message "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

What does this mean?

My motherboard sometimes does not recognize one or more of my HDs/SSDs so I'm beginning to think a new motherboard would fix this as I do not wish to format this 'working' drive with the OS (Windows 7 32-bit) on and all the many programs and files I've put on it.

Any advice would be welcome. :cool:

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" is a symptom of two kinds of errors
  1. memory is failing
  2. HD is failing in the pagefile.sys region
Most likely is the memory:- get a copy of MEMTEST, make a bootable thumbdrive for it, boot and test for at least two and better if three passes. Replace any failing memory modules.

Otherwise, run CHKDSK C: /F /R from a command prompt which will require a reboot - - allow it and keep your hands off the system until it completes.

The thing makes me think its not memory is it works in safe mode but always crashes once the welcome sound in Windows plays after booting in normal mode. It has also crashed in safe mode after several days.

But will try chkdisk and do memory scan. :cool:

Back