Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0 brings faster, smarter detection

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Panda Security has released an overhauled version of its cloud-based antivirus software today, bringing a slew of new features including an updated interface and Windows 8 compatibility. Available in both free and paid versions, Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0 touts 50% faster on-demand scans, improved disinfection rates and reduced memory usage.

Previously limited to the paid version, free users now benefit from Panda's behavioral analysis engine. The free software also packs a new cloud-based disinfection engine, improved offline protection, the ability to display individual processes for everything connected to the Internet, URL and Web filtering, as well as new advanced configuration options.

The Pro Edition costs $30 a year and contains all of the above in addition to a new community-based firewall that manages permissions with real-time knowledge from Panda's global userbase, protection on public Wi-Fi networks, and automatic "USB vaccination." Pro customers also get an ad-free experience and 24/7 multilingual support.

Although Panda isn't particularly popular compared to solutions by Microsoft, ESET, AVG, Avira and Avast, the company's software ranks well among many independent antivirus testing outfits. Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5.2, for instance, earned AV-Test's certification award a few months back with high ratings for protection, repair and usability.

If you're already using an older version of Panda Cloud Antivirus, it should update automatically in the coming days or you can manually download the latest build here. Be sure to uninstall antiviruses by other companies before you try Panda. Also, watch for an installation option that installs a toolbar and changes your default search provider.

Permalink to story.

Will Panda Cloud based antivirus function along side other standard antivirus softwares successfully on Windows operating systems?

It is commonly stated online that one should not use two or more antivirus soft-wares together. But, I have been using Emsisoft Anti-malware Pro and Immunet 3.0 cloud based free software successfully.

Immunet says their antivirus is compatible with standard non cloud based anti-virus software as a "second tier of active detection". ......And I have found that my Windows 7 64 operating system shows no problem operating the two together.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience that Panda Cloud antivirus free or Pro cloud based antivirus software can also be made to work well as a second tier of defense on Windows operation systems?

It seems to me that if it does, it would be a great gain to many users worldwide since cloud based systems, such as Panda Cloud, are growing yearly in their reputation as great active detection and blocking antivirus softwares.

I know I would try Panda cloud based free, although maybe Immunet 3.0. free may be just as good as Panda at this point in time. I have had it block several viruses, trojans, and adwares which the highly vaunted Emsisoft anti-malware failed to get to first or not at all.

Thank you for your time.
Rick

Back