PAX is planning to host in-person events in 2021

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: This year will go down in the history books as one of the worst in recent memory due to Covid-19. So many aspects of modern life have been disrupted as a result of the pandemic and containment efforts. Frankly, lots of people are hoping for a fresh start and a return to normalcy in 2021 including the organizers of the PAX events.

On Friday, the PAX team announced a tentative calendar of live events for 2021. Assuming it's safe to do so, PAX East will run from June 3 - 6 followed by PAX West from September 3 - 6. PAX Australia doesn't yet have a firm date. PAX Unplugged is slated for December 10 - 12.

Unfortunately, the team wasn't able to put together a PAX South event for 2021.

Organizers said badges, exhibitor updates, panel announcements and so on will arrive in the New Year, closer to their respective dates.

Again, these dates are really only placeholders as it is anyone's guess as to what the pandemic situation will look like in six months. Personally, I wouldn't start planning my trip just yet. Still, it's encouraging to see that there are plenty of people that still crave the togetherness and magic of an in-person event.

The Consumer Technology Association, the organizing body that puts on CES, said back in July that CES 2021 will be an online only event. The all-digital event will run from January 11 - 14.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, let's go party, since US just hit record-high 3157 death in one day, exceeding that from 9/11 attack. That's cause of celebration, which seems to be the perception, following the plans of massive public re-openings.

But the stocks are up, billionaires are even richer, and people,.... what people? Even with 2 million dead, plus counting everything else, we are still ending up with 82 million growth in population this year. Which one is worse, really, Coronavirus or population ballooning?

Last edited:
Well of course everything will go back to a "new normal". They got rid of Trump, the vaccine will be distributed, democrats will take credit for getting rid of the virus (which is something you can't to, but, nevermind about that!), so everyone will eventually have an ID card with a tracking chip that says you took the shot. Yep, everything back to normal, nothing to see here. (did I get all the conspiracy theories?)

Well of course everything will go back to a "new normal". They got rid of Trump, the vaccine will be distributed, democrats will take credit for getting rid of the virus (which is something you can't to, but, nevermind about that!), so everyone will eventually have an ID card with a tracking chip that says you took the shot. Yep, everything back to normal, nothing to see here. (did I get all the conspiracy theories?)

You missed the round earth theory, chem trails, shadow masters, George Bush 9/11, Illuminati, Free Masons, Clinton murders, and Shaquille O'neil's acting career.

I am about to celebrate, for the first time in my life, a whole consecutive year without catching a cold or the flu or any other bug. I think I will keep social distancing even after everyone is vaccinated.

Yeah, let's go party, since US just hit record-high 3157 death in one day, exceeding that from 9/11 attack.
That figure was revised downward, to between 2700-2900, depending on data source. In any case, we have not one but two vaccines complete: tested, manufactured, and ready to ship; both have applied to the FDA for approval, and yet the FDA is doing absolutely nothing until at least December 10, and possibly longer.

Had the FDA acted when Pfizer first applied, we could have had tens of millions of people already vaccinated, and the entire epidemic stamped out by the end of January.

Last edited:
I am about to celebrate, for the first time in my life, a whole consecutive year without catching a cold or the flu or any other bug. I think I will keep social distancing even after everyone is vaccinated.
This. I'm going to wear a mask when I need to go out even when this is over if I'm going to be around people. This is the first year in 5 that I haven't yet that I haven't had pneumonia or caught a cold either. I like social distancing because I'm not usually a people person, so I'll tell people I'm sick if people get too close. I like my personal space and don't like crowds, so distance is desirable. Maybe that's why I decided to switch industries to IT...that and I have always been a computer nerd.

I love how everyone has in their own mind when a 'safe' time will be, lol. It will be safe when they tell you it's safe, period. The very next day could be unsafe, but until they tell you it's safe, it's not. Remember that. You have no say in it.

I love how everyone has in their own mind when a 'safe' time will be, lol. It will be safe when they tell you it's safe, period....You have no say in it.
I'm unsure to whom the "they" in your statement refers, but even the experts have wildly differing opinions on what constitutes an acceptable level of risk, how that risk varies by region and individual, and how it will change in the future. If you're willing to accept risk at all, you'll be in your basement forever-- and even then an earthquake or giant meteor might finish you off.

Besides, it's a free country -- assuming you're not in China. It's OK to make your own decisions. Society operates best when individuals freely determine their own fate, rather than blindly accepting the pronouncements of authority figures.

I'm unsure to whom the "they" in your statement refers, but even the experts have wildly differing opinions on what constitutes an acceptable level of risk, how that risk varies by region and individual, and how it will change in the future. If you're willing to accept risk at all, you'll be in your basement forever-- and even then an earthquake or giant meteor might finish you off.

Besides, it's a free country -- assuming you're not in China. It's OK to make your own decisions. Society operates best when individuals freely determine their own fate, rather than blindly accepting the pronouncements of authority figures.
I was being sarcastic, but I'm not very good at it :p

Back