PC can't be turned on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_mood

hi..

kinda need some help/advice on my pc..

when i turn it on, a 'beep' sound goes off a few times and nothing happens to the monitor....

i don't even know what caused that.. can anyone help?

thanks

Beep codes always mean something, but differ from computer to computer. You can usually, but not always, find a list of the beep codes on the computer manufacturer web support site. Try, also, a Google search for "<brand & model> beep codes"
Usually the beep code is signaling a bad memory module, failed video graphics, failed CPU fan, failed hard drive, or other such critical component. The beep code is to alert you that the error is basic and you will not see useful details on the screen.
Try to boot up with the case cover off so you can see if the cpu fan is turning, or if the power supply fan is turning.
If you have a floppy drive, you might want to find a floppy boot disc such as Windows 98, then disconnect everything but power supply, cpu, one memory module, and video graphics connection. Then boot to the floppy. If the same error occurs, you know it is a fundamental error. Then trade memory modules, and try again.
This exercise will help you narrow down the problem... by adding components until it fails once more.

Still, it is not "fine" now as something has gone bad. The beep codes help tell you what that problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back