PC crashes with 0x1000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am new here because I've seen that there are some very helpful guys and I've a really hard problem that needs them :)

I have Windows XP Professional SP3 with new hardware. I use this computer almost only for work, but sometimes for gaming, too. In particular this means, I sometimes play Counterstrike 1.6 using Steam. I guess that the important thing about this is, that it is a fullscreen application and - in 40% of all cases - when I minimize OR exit this game my computer restarts. In Windows' log viewer this is explained by:

Der Computer ist nach einem schwerwiegenden Fehler neu gestartet. Der Fehlercode war: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf039614, 0xa9de13f0, 0x00000000). Ein volles Abbild wurde gespeichert in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022709-02.dmp

Sorry for German, but I think everybody with the needed knowledge understands the important things. I've zipped and uploaded one of the minidumps (as I stated, the error often occurs) to
gehrcke.de/files/foren/Mini022709-02.zip

This error never occurs when working on desktop with "normal" windows applications. It ONLY occurs in exactly these moment when exiting or minimizing the fullscreen application Counterstrike. I did not try any other fullscreen applications because I don't have any :)

So my guess is that it has nothing to do with unstable RAM/CPU because of heat or sth linke this. My guess is a problem with graphics hardware and/or driver. I've a Radeon 4850 but I could not find anything concerning this hardware and the named error. So from here I am helpless.

Ask me for more information, if you need! Thank you for any hint,

Jan-Philip

I've zipped and uploaded one of the minidumps (as I stated, the error often occurs) to
gehrcke.de/files/foren/Mini022709-02.zip
No need to Zip up one Minidump, or use any foreign Server
Just attach the Minidump using the paperclip icon ->
attach.gif
located on the Toolbar, of a new reply

Thank you kimsland. This is a very helpful hint. It is true that I am running a very old version of mIRC; sometimes in the background of Counterstrike. Maybe I just did not notice the coherence between running mIRC in the background and the crashes until now. I will investigate this issue.

I hope that this (updating/not using mIRC) solves the problem. The posts on ATI dlls are fairly old, so I've the chance that there is no problem with my ATI drivers. I will report my findings!

PS: Which application do you use to analyze the minidumps? Then I can do it by myself the next time... :)

I had a look into some other minidumps, too (with the help of your "all about minidumps" :)). The involved process (mirc.exe in the example above) is a random factor.

After reading modernstreet.com/general/ati2dvag-problem and many many forum threads it is clear, that there are different causes (BIOS, soundhardware, special settings, drivers, cooling) that result in problems within the ati2dvag.dll. The "general problem with this DLL" exists since some years. But the symptoms are different and the solutions are versatile. There is no official statement from ATI, I think... the people are really angry about this.

I still don't know what's the special problem for me causing errors within this DLL. I just installed the newest Catalyst driver and had no problems until now, but I have to test it longer to make a confident statement about this.

If it takes too much work for me to solve my problem, I will send the R4850 back...

Thank you until now :)

PS: Why isn't it allowed to post links?

Because of spammers, we have stopped new comers providing links in their posts until they reach 5 posts.

So, for you, instead of writing: http://www.google.com (as an example) write w w w . google . c o m (ie break up the link, with spaces everywhere)

I think now it is time to make the confident statement: no more problems after using a catalyst driver from 2009 instead of version 8.12.

A simple driver update to solve this dirty problem... :)

Thank you, again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back