pc crashing when playing games, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
whenever i play new games like Half-Life 2, FEAR, Chronicles of Riddick,etc, i get BSoDs with no messages or anything, just the blue screens with white spots in lines. If i play Deus Ex or any older games its fine. My computer's a laptop and ive had my share of problems with it, like overheating and general crashing in games. I have no idea what to do, any help would be great

Specs:

3.0 Intel CPU
512 RAM
128M Radeon 9600 pro

I think you are pushing either the RAM or the graphics card too far with those newer games. Has anything in that laptop been upgraded? If you can tell us what temperature the card is running at and the psu wattage if possible that'd be great, but to the best of my knowledge that card should play Half Life 2 ok, but I think FEAR would push it.

You really need a 256M card for more recent games like F.E.A.R and you could do with at least a Gig of RAM. The processor is fine though. I wouldn't stress too much getting Chronicles of Riddic working though as it seems to have some very specific problems with card-feature compatability. I've owned it since release and have given up trying to get it running. I mean the system I have at the mo should surely be able to hack it, but it's still telling me I need a later version of OpenGL.

AMD Sempron 3300 64bit
2Gigs of RAM
Nvidia GF 6200A 512MB

Anyone tells me I need a better card and I'll slap them with a wet haddock. I'm not paying that amount of coin to play a game that's more than a year old.

paranoid guy said:
I think you are pushing either the RAM or the graphics card too far with those newer games. Has anything in that laptop been upgraded? If you can tell us what temperature the card is running at and the psu wattage if possible that'd be great, but to the best of my knowledge that card should play Half Life 2 ok, but I think FEAR would push it.
the laptop has never been upgraded, though from the sounds of it ill need to get more RAM. How do i tell how hot the card is running?

You can find the card's chipset temp by Right-Click Desktop:
Display Settings->Settings(Tab)->Advanced->%Card-Name%(tab).
It should be in one of the sub-catagorie menus specific to the card. If it's not, I don't know where to look.
Cpu wattage can be found in the BIOS/CMOS setup utility you can access from boot. You may find temperature monitor for your card there, but don't confuse it with your cpu's temperature monitor (that's likely to be at the top of the sub-menu).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back