PC LAN Issue

This is probably the third or fourth time I'm attempting this... I have a HP m390n desktop that absolutely refuses to connect to the LAN. Before, we would have it connected wirelessly to the internet by a card, but it recently took a dump. I've tried to get the LAN to work several times in the past, and even posted threads on other tech forums. They had me do many things, but in the end they were all stumped.

To put it simply, the internet won't connect. It shows that it sends (slowly) packets of info, but never receives. It won't load any pages . The Ethernet card is enabled, I have tried updating/uninstalling the drivers. The wire itself works, tested by my laptop and another PC. We have 2 other desktops that are connected wired to the modem, they never have issues just this one desktop.

Any ideas?

Do you still have the wireless adapter connected? If so you may need to disable it. In order for the ethernet adapter to work.

Internal LAN or external LAN (card, or usb)

In any case the rule of thumb applies if the LAN device is bad in your case it looks like it is. I am not there but what you are describing it's defective. That would need to be replaced. If the LAN in built-in then you need to go into the BIOS and disable that hardware. Buy a PCI-NIC or PCI-E NIC or go the USB LAN route.

Device is duff on packets (bad on packets)

Get a command prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL
read the results looking for the top section looking like
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JeffPC7
  Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
  DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : socal.rr.com
On your results for Node Type - - what does yours say; Hybrid or Broadcast?

Back