PC noise problem

So when I boot up my pc, it starts making a loud noise I think its the fans, but I'm not sure and after like 30 minutes the sound goes away, I tried cleaning my GPU fans and power supply fans but it won't go away.

Cleaning won't usually fix a bearing in a fan once it is bad. You have to change the fan. It's easy to find: run the machine with the side cover off. Listen closely to where the noise is coming from and some of the fans you can place a finger tip on them briefly right at the centre so you don't get hit by the fan blades. It's harder with the PSU fan or front case fan.

30 minutes suggests that the bearing warms up and now it is good until the next cold boot. Once you figure out which fan it is you can leave your PC running until the new fan comes in.

Cleaning won't usually fix a bearing in a fan once it is bad. You have to change the fan. It's easy to find: run the machine with the side cover off. Listen closely to where the noise is coming from and some of the fans you can place a finger tip on them briefly right at the centre so you don't get hit by the fan blades. It's harder with the PSU fan or front case fan.

30 minutes suggests that the bearing warms up and now it is good until the next cold boot. Once you figure out which fan it is you can leave your PC running until the new fan comes in.
Ok I think its my powersupply fan making the noise, any tips on which fan I should get? I have a chieftec 700A8 120mm

Last edited:
That's not uncommon. While it is not impossible to open a PSU and change that fan, it can be a little dangerous if a large capacitor discharged on you. Another problem I have run into is that the fans in there tend to be slimmer then the usual 120mm fan you see for sale, so it might be tough to find a replacement. If you do nothing it will eventually seize and then the PSU will fail from overheating at some point.

Back