Pc randomly shuts down

JonB812

So my computer did this twice now within like a week or two. The computer randomly shuts down but only partially. The computer monitor would shut off so would the keyboard but the mouse would stay on and so would the tower light but it sounds like its powering down. I would sit their the monitor wont come back on or anything and the computer sounds like its running in sleep mode or something buts it is not. I hold the button to turn it off but it wont shutdown all the way. In the end I have to turn it off by the back switch. I then went to turn it back on but like half the pc turns on (tower light but no montior or keyboard). My cpu tends to get a bit hot (80c) because of the bad stock fan but its only about a month old. Please help, Does anyone know what the problem could be?Should I get a new cpu fan?

First, you say it randomly shuts down. Do you notice if it shuts down doing particular things more than others?

We need to know your hardware, particularly your processor but also your power supply's make and how much wattage it is designed for.

If it is a heat issue then heat will shut down a system fast.

First, you say it randomly shuts down. Do you notice if it shuts down doing particular things more than others?

We need to know your hardware, particularly your processor but also your power supply's make and how much wattage it is designed for.

If it is a heat issue then heat will shut down a system fast.
It randomly will shut off, its only done it twice. The first time was when I was playing a game the other time was when I had a bunch of windows open and office running. My parts are below..
-CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

-MSI R7 260X 2GD5 OC Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-MSI A78M-E35 FM2+ / FM2 AMD A78 (Bolton D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core 3.8GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor AD760KWOHLBOX

-Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Dual USB 3.0, come with Dual Fans, Support up to 4 Fans, 12.5" card

-Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

-Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609DS1S00

upload_2014-9-26_15-31-55.pngHere are some readings of my pc when im on just the web to, voltage seems fine only major thing is cpu max temp it hit 75

When gaming it puts a stress on the system particularly the GPU creating an increase in heat. Sometimes the heat increase can be significant.

Do this simple but effective diagnostics step: Open your side panel of your case. Find a small fan, set it on low, and have it directly blow into your case. Now play games and do the tasks that caused it to crash. Any crashes?

* Also, that chip can run hot under a load so an aftermarket cooler would probably be a good idea. How is your airflow in that case?

Last edited:
The air flow is fine, its got a two panel fans. Graphics card etc stay around 27c when gaming and doing tasks. The only thing that gets hot is the cpu which is 75c when doing regular tasks then hits sometimes 88c while gaming.
Now say it is due to the cpu over heating is it common for someone not to be able to turn off the pc by pressing the power button on the front when this does occur? Like I said above when it randomly shuts down it doesn't fully turn off, the front power light stays on but I cant power it down fully by pressing the button I have switch it off with the switch on the back of the tower instead.

My first, best guess is the cpu is overheating. After further research on the maximum temperature range for the 760K Richland I came across the following: "If it gets close to 75-80C it will power itself down/ reduce frequency to not damage itself or even shutdown completely."

Alright so one last thing I'm curious about why is it when it overheats the tower light stays on and I cant power it down all the way by holding the power button I have to switch it off using the power supply switch in the back, ever hear of that?

Can't really answer that; perhaps someone else can except to say that it may be that it is only your cpu shutting down fully while the rest of the system is still powered and yet not functioning.

You are most welcome. :) Please keep us updated. BTW, I'm running that exact RAM in my i5 build. Its good RAM.

One last thing, and this is just a side note, if you find a cooler doesn't fix the issue (it is still a good idea to get one)look into your power supply. I love Corsair psu's and use them in most builds I do but if it is not stable or not giving the wattage you need then that needs to be rectified.

Good luck.

Back