PC rebooting randomly

Denitorious

Hello there and thanks for having me.

My problem is the following, my computer has been powering off for a week now, it sounds like a poweroff and then instantly boots back up. I haven't been able to pin-point the cause yet, that is why I have registered here.

I will include the latest errors that have been shown right at the time where the restart happened.

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service TermService with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{F9A874B6-F8A8-4D73-B5A8-AB610816828B}

After the latest reboot, my event viewer showed the following error log about a hundred times if not more:

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{B52D54BB-4818-4EB9-AA80-F9EACD371DF8}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service Disc Soft Pro Bus Service with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{E9526F9B-B449-4171-810F-E710946CA1FA}

DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}
The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

The Network Location Awareness service depends on the DHCP Client service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

I really don't know if they are the cause or not, anyway, it might be the GPU dying on me or maybe memory, as I believe it crashed most often when I played certain games that rendered a lot at the same time.

Thank you if someone can help me pin-point the problem.

If Broni says clean it is...but that means you have a hard issue. Unless you do not have a 'clean' system in the other sense and have dust bunnies abounding.

In troubleshooting the best idea is to try the diagnostic steps which are least cost first. The second principle is to replace components with 'known good' alternatives (if problem goes away when you replace something, it is a good bet [not always] that you found the problem).

Least cost diagnostics include:
- check for error codes in Event Viewer and turn off 'automatic restart on error' (so you can read the screen!)
- checking temperature and voltage ranges leading up to an error condition (watch video/play game for half time it usually takes to fail and then check your utility - Speccy, HWInfo, etc)
- checking SMART on HDD
- running memtest86 from Passmark overnight

You did look at Event Viewer and found LOTS of errors...track back on the time stamp sequence and try to identify the first error or two in the chain.. it might give us the key. Computers, being digital beasts, tend to fail sequentially.

Memory, if it passes memtest, can also be further tested by cutting down to one stick and trying that in different slots. Then doing the same with the others.

If NOTHING shows up and you have a second system or a bunch of known good parts, swap parts and run to see if it still fails. Mouse, keyboard, USB hub, GPU, PSU.

If that doesn't work, then you dig out the manual and remove everything from case..and rebuild system on the benchtop.

Another quick, very cheap thing - replace the motherboard battery. But read the manual first, you need to be sure the PC can survive a short power-off.
Looking at your OP, did you install drivers or software for something that is no longer there ? Examples being printers, scanners, TV tuners etc etc.

I would recommend reinstalling everything and update the BIOS to the newest version. Other than that it sounds like a power supply issue. It's remotely possible that it's the GPU but those tend to blue screen. RMA the PSU and get a new one to see if that resolves your problem.

Back