PC shut off randomly with no warning, will not boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC shut off with no warning, And will not boot up, it will "turn on" but the monitor doesn't show the bootup screen or anything, it stays blank as if the comp was still off.

The Keyboard & mouse don't light up/turn on either.

Computer is a Compaq Presario. but I am unsure what the motherboard is because we had to buy a new one. PC was used, motherboard was fried, bought new one & new RAM, HD's, everything.

Motherboard and ram are under a year old.
As are the hard drives. [two 160 or 180 gb HD's one is SATA, other is SATA/IDE]
512 RAM
Windows XP SP2.
Haven't been having any PC issues prior to this happening.

So far everyone is telling me its probably the power supply box. but I'm unsure.

Thanks, I will post more specs when I find out what they are.

This may sound a little dumb but I had the exact same issue and my fix was to plug the pc into a different wall socket and reboot.

It's heat. When the thing cools down it will fire back up. Check for dust, check to make sure the heatsinks are sitting properly on the various chips (northbridge and CPU in that fellow), make sure the fans are clean and functioning, and replace the thermal paste under the CPU heatsink.

I really don't think this is a power supply issue. Does this tend to happen after you have used the computer for awhile, or when you turn it on after sitting off for a period of time? This could be various hardware problems including the motherboard, processor, and RAM. What I would do is unplug all the hardware you will not need in order for the computer to boot. If the problem still occurs, try booting the pc with just one stick of RAM in the module. If it happens again, try the other stick of RAM. Basically, if you do not want to take your computer to a shop, you will have to troubleshoot the problem yourself.

It wouldn't hurt anything to try another power supply first... That is exactly what I would do if I had this computer on my bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back