PC under perfoming :(

Hey, so my pc compared to other builds that are identical, performs so poorly. I just got a gtx 1660 ti today, I installed the drivers, amd ryzen 5 2600, and g skill 8x2 gb ram. all parts only a few months old (other than gpu). The temperate stays cool. My fps compared to other builds, are at least 20 or even 30 fps worse in every game. I dont know what it is please help. im about to give up hope.

So since this a ryzen system I'll start with the basics.

• Specify your RAM Operating Frequency and Timings
  • What PSU do you use for your system?
  • Last time a Format was performed? Since you changed system did you only replace the GPU or a complete build overhaul except GPU a few months ago?
  • What Systems are you comparing to? Ryzen 2600 while being pretty good at gaming better Single threaded performing cpus are available in the market. If the CPU is somewhat holding you back which is "highly unlikely" in most games then the FPS difference may be related to it.

So since this a ryzen system I'll start with the basics.

• Specify your RAM Operating Frequency and Timings
  • What PSU do you use for your system?
  • Last time a Format was performed? Since you changed system did you only replace the GPU or a complete build overhaul except GPU a few months ago?
  • What Systems are you comparing to? Ryzen 2600 while being pretty good at gaming better Single threaded performing cpus are available in the market. If the CPU is somewhat holding you back which is "highly unlikely" in most games then the FPS difference may be related to it.
my ram is g skill 2x8 2100 my psu is corsair cx 450m bronze. and I’m comparing to other people that have the same build but better results.

my ram is g skill 2x8 2100 my psu is corsair cx 450m bronze. and I’m comparing to other people that have the same build but better results.
Your Ram frequency is quite low. You're being bottlenecked by the infinity fabric. I'd try to bump those sticks to higher frequency at the minimum 2666MHz. 3200MHz is the sweetspot you want to be!

Are the sticks purely 2100 rated or do they have XMP profiles available for higher clocks?

Your Ram frequency is quite low. You're being bottlenecked by the infinity fabric. I'd try to bump those sticks to higher frequency at the minimum 2666MHz. 3200MHz is the sweetspot you want to be!

Are the sticks purely 2100 rated or do they have XMP profiles available for higher clocks?
im not sure if they are stuck at 2100 how can I check if I can speed them up lol

If you still have the vendor box or know the RAM name/serial you can find the specific Frequency and timings of the module. Else you can navigate to the bios and try to find the ram modules from there.

Strictly speaking I don't want to suggest overclocking memory especially if they're not rated for higher speeds.

For reference I pulled out a memory scaling chart for a ryzen system.

farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-low-645x583.png

As you can see in the chart above simply going from 2400MHz to 3200MHz the FPS Minimum increased from 97 to 108 whereas maximum went from 157 to 179.

So clearly this is were your performance difference is gone.

Now you have few solutions.

• Upgrade ram to 3200Mhz or higher rated modules.

• Check your current RAM modules and pray that you can at least push anything higher than 2133MHz which is pretty low for a ryzen system.

Hey, so my pc compared to other builds that are identical, performs so poorly.

To add I'd guess when you're talking about same system specs are you also refering to same RAM clock speeds? I highly doubt it. Also after frequency tuning you may find better performance through RAM looser timings but ideally lets move one step at a time.

Back