Pc wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

makz

hi everyone,i have a serious problem with my pc and need help from you people.
my pc has following confg:
intel p4
intel d865gbf mobo
2 dimm ram modules
seagate barracuda 80gb hdd
actually my problem is yesterday when i bring my system back from my frnds place it just stopped working.when i turn the psu on the green led on mobo will glow and cpu fan will just starts for a second or 2 and then stops.everything just freezes except the green led.the monitor is blank with orange light.i couldnt even hear the booting beep.i tested my psu and its fine,cpu fan is fine,i even removed the ram sticks and reinserted them many times nut nothing worked.i think while bringing the system back it might have experienced a small jerk but not tremendous. it was working perfectly when i picked it from my frnds place.
i m newbie and dont have much hardware knowledge and really looking forward for ur support.thanks in advance

Hi

In your case I would test each part in a known-good system if I could, then go from there. I have had a few 865 systems but have never seen this problem.

thanks blakhart.
i have already done that.ram ,psu,hdd,cpu fan all are fine. if i remove my ram sticks both fans (cpu and psu) work fine but after inserting sticks back they just stop after a second or two.the only thing that might have happened is related to some thing experiencing a jerk or shock.thats what i think....

That could well be. Sometimes parts (rather their solder) are barely making contact on a mobo, and when a little stress is placed on them they lose contact. As well, crystals do not take impact damage very well at all, and there are always a few crystals in metal holders on every mobo, at least one. Look for the thin rectangular metal can near the pll chip on the mobo, it will have some numbers representing its oscillating frequency on it. If a crystal is bad, you have to replace it as the contacts are internal to its case, the case being hermeticaly sealed. If some mobo solder joint gave out, you have a few days worth of resoldering ahead of you if you want to try your hand at it. What I would do next is to make sure that the cmos(bios) chip is in its socket firmly, just push down on top of it. Then I would clear cmos as per the mobo manual and try to boot.

Have you tried to boot your system with a different psu? Tried to boot with nothing but the vid (and use onboard vid if it has it), a single stick of mem, and the cpu installed?

well i tried a different psu and boot system with just one mem stick,cpu installed and just onboard vid as you said but the things are same. fans start initially then after 1-2 sec they close.i read somewhere that it might have to do with bios.so can i reset it by simply removing bios jumper on mobo for some time and then placing it back.or do i have to follow other procedure....

It sounds like your cpu heatsink is loose. The stock Intel is a pain for that if you bump your comp around very much. Power off, unplug, and then check all 4 legs of the hs are firmly attached.

If any are loose, time to remove it, clean off the old paste, and add new paste and reinstall.

gl

Yep, if the heat sink isn't making good contact it can make for an inoperable system, but you should be getting farther into the boot process than you do if this is the case. Check it to be sure. Anyway, I would reset bios, and take the battery out of the holder as well, leaving it on reset overnight. Then try to boot. If no go, it is probably time for a new mobo.

thanks cct and blakhart.
i have already checked heat sink and it seem fines but still i will remove it and reinstall it.one more thing that i noticed today is that the system gives a small faint beep before the fans are turned off.i havent heard this beep before and it is very very faint and small.it usually comes 1-2 sec after turning the power on.is there some problem related to bios

thanks cct
but well its not normal beep like"beep....." it is more like"pik.." very small and faint.

one more thing yesterday i took out cmos battery,bios jumper and left system like that for overnight,just to reset bios.when i reinserted everythig at proper place the system started well but after few second system gave three beeps like "beep.............beep..beep"
nothing came on monitor but every fan worked fine.when i again restarted it the same old thing happened again i.e system started there was a smaal faint beep rather"pik.." and all the fans stopped.on further restarts same thing happened

thanks to you all i finally got and rectified the problem
the problem was with the mobo power switch(power switch posts)
when i short ckt them everything worked fine. then i found out that my monitor is also not working .so i tested another monitor and everything was fine.i think my monitor has blown out. thanks to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back