My pc wont start even after using the screwdriver method.

So my pc won't turn on. The only sign of life when I turn on PSU is green light on my mobo. When I try to do the screw driver method on those pins where you plugg in SW POWER cable it doesn't work.

So my pc won't turn on. The only sign of life when I turn on PSU is green light on my mobo. When I try to do the screw driver method on those pins where you plugg in SW POWER cable it doesn't work.
The most common , "no me want start", is a bad PSU. A working PSU needs "all voltages present and accounted for"..

There are several .voltages at the PSU output. Each one is colloquially called a "rail". These can fail individually. I had a PSU where the 12 volt rail was working, but another was bad. The machine would attempt to power up. When it did, the CPU fan would run up to full speed and stay there, but nothing else happened.

The only thing you're accomplishing by shorting out the startup pins, is finding out if the case power switch is good or bad. That's it, nothing more.

I recently had a Seasonic, (supposedly a top brand), fail, in what I assume to be the power management circuitry. I put the damned computer to sleep, and it flat out refused to wake up. Without a lot of thought or doubt involved, I simply replaced the PSU and bingo, it was "lights, action, camera".

So, in your situation, the mandatory thing you need to do is either buy a new PSU, or hopefully, a friend has a working spare you can sub-out for yours.

Something to keep in mind is, that the 5 volt rail never shuts off Thus the USB is intentionally always available. So, you could start there and see if you can charge your phone, vape stick, or whatever you have to determine if 5 volts is present. However, 5 volts being there, doesn't automatically mean there's enough of it to meet your machine's needs..

FWIW, the PSU is the component that fails most often, and usually more than all the other components combined in any given machine. The distant 2nd most often failure is the C:/ (system) drive.

If you do have to buy a PSU, make certain that it offers all the necessary circuit protections. such as over voltage, over current, short circuit, and a couple more. Buying a cheapo PSU, can come back and bite you in the a$$, such as it killing the mobo and CPU when it dies.

Best of luck, and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Back