PCI-E slot issue or any changes to be done in BIOS to detect my graphics card

how to check my pcie slot working or not. When i inserted nvidia Gforce 9500gt it is not detecting my mother board (Asus M2N VM HDMI ) but graphics cards fan is working. then how can i identifies the slot is faulty or not. Is their any changes to be done in the bios. Please help me. My processor is AMD Phenom 9550 and 3Gb DDR2 ram is inserted.

You do need to go into BIOS and disable the onboard video card in order for one plugged into a PCI slot to work. That is most likely your problem.

There are diagnostic cards that you can plug in to test your motherboard such as the one at this site:

http://www.pc-diagnostics.com/pc_diagnostics_tools/flippost_isa_pci_bus.shtml

You also might call nearby computer stores to see if they have the equipment there and will run the diagnostic for you if you bring in your motherboard.

His is a pci express slot. The tester you linked to is for PCI or ISA slots only. abheeshsv, in the BIOS go to the advanced screen. The first option you should see is Northbridge or Southbridge configuration. Choose Southbridge. the 1st item on the next screens list should be "Primary Graphics Adapter. Choose PCIE. Then hit F10. It will ask if you want to save your changes? Say yes or hit enter to save. You can go here to download the users manual if you need it.

gfx card not detecting

hi,

I select PCIe as primary. if any thing extra to be done....?

[PCIE->PCI->IGP] is i selected in the bios setup.

That's about all, BIOS wise, that you can do. Do you have a friend whose system you can use to test the card in? Or a different card to try in yours? Is this a new card for you or have you had it awhile? If it's new do you have the power cables attached to the card if it takes them? Also if it's new did you uninstall the drivers for the onboard graphics? Go into device manager and double click on display adapter. If it shows more than one double click on the one you don't want, go to the driver tab and uninstall it. And make sure you have the right nVidia drivers installed. Don't forget the mobo has a 3 year warranty. I just got done sending my ASUS mobo in for a bad PCIe slot. Tell them you're broke and see if they can send you a pre-paid shipping label to pay to send them back the board. That works for the graphics card companies too. A lot of places will pre-pay the shipping, but they won't offer it up front. You have to ask for it.

Back