PCI Slot SATA Connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are best with Sata on board (on the Motherboard)
Routing Sata through a PCI card to an internal Sata Drive kind of defeats the purpose of a faster HardDrive.

Therefore either purchase a larger capacity ATA (IDE) HardDrive (if that's what you're after)
Or update your Motherboard to Sata

The problem is I am on a VERY tight budget and couldn't afford one.

I can't afford to upgrade my motherboard. I don't care that its faster, I just want the space.

Go to directron.com or ZipZoomFly. They usually have terrific deals on Seagate drives with a five year warranty. You can get a 500GB for $99, or a 40 GB for $40, and 80 Gb for $60.
A hard drive is more important than food. Cut out eating one day a week.

I'm sure the PCI SATA card idea is ok. Under the circumstances I might do the same although I don't know about this particular brand. SIIG is a bigger name in these kinds of cards. My main caveat would be that devices attached to it might not be bootable. If you plan to keep your original drive as the boot drive, then no problem.

Motherboard priority

You need a Sata MBD.Till then you can't use SATA devices.
I know,i have one.

I've been using a PCI card since my motherboard connectors starting playing up. This was also a cheap solution for me. I am able to boot from it as well (warm booting doesn't always work though).

Pci ?

peterdiva said:
I've been using a PCI card since my motherboard connectors starting playing up. This was also a cheap solution for me. I am able to boot from it as well (warm booting doesn't always work though).
So you mean theres a PCI card that converts IDE to SATA ?
Then whats the problem.I don't think you explained it right,try again .

There are PCI cards that contain IDE and/or SATA controllers. You connect IDE or SATA devices directly to them. No conversion needed. That's what the Mopar man is talking about.

Ok, I recently recieved a Fatal1ty motherboard (for free, surprisingly). It supports DDR2 ram, PCI-E, and P4 processors (no dual core, sadly). Anyway, I don't have any of those :)P), but it came with an adapter that adaps IDE HARD DRIVES to a SATA MOBO, opposite of what I need. Is it possible to possibly modify the adapter to work? Would it just be wires connecting them or would it be something more complicated?

Specifically it is an ABIT Serillel... or something like that! :p

I am currently pretty outraged, finding that the adapter was opposite of what I need.

Possibly but I wouldn't do it.

Just purchase the correct adaptor
Or use only the HardDrive type that the Motherboard supports (that'll be the absolute best advice)

The problem is that I can't afford to do that. If, on the other hand, we could get a decent adapter, I will, and will post back here stating that we did.

If not, I would still like to know if anyone has ever heard of doing that before.

So you need an IDE to SATA adapter? That is, from an IDE motherboard to a SATA device. Here are a few listed at Newegg: Click here. There are a few wrong ones mixed in.

You will need a PCI sata controller card. Plug the card into a free PCI slot, plug the new SATA driver to the card, then install your SATA / card drivers. Everything should be fine after that.

I take it both IDE connectors on the motherboard are parallel to each other. The Sabrent adapter should fit into one of them without covering the other if you fit it to the right one. The connector prongs of the adapter are at the edge of the card so the overhang will face away from the other IDE connector provided you chose the right one.

So, I can place the HDD cable in either one of them!? I could have sworn it had to be in IDE1, which is why I was worried...... But then again, they are parrallel, verically, and if it goes -----|| that way, then my mobo is so small it wouldn't fit (gfx card and others).

Sorry for making a double post, but I need to...

Would it be better to get this:

Sata Device to IDE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206001

or this:

SATA to IDE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16812156011
(Doesn't look to great, and higher...)

or this:

PCI Sata Controller:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280004
(pci to two sata)

or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280001
(PCI to Sata/IDE)

Ok, the last one has a review or two saying that the IDE doesn't work (no big deal, while the other PCI card doesn't look too good, but it does have more 4*'s than anything else....

I'm looking for the cheapest option, btw, so yeah...

If you are just adding the SATA drive as a slave for data and not replacing your existing drive then why not just get a USB2 external enclosure and pop the new drive in there....

PCFella
pcfella.co.uk

I would pick the first Masscool card you listed. My preference is an expansion card over an adapter. Although they cost a bit more, they also have PCI-E 1x to SATA expansion cards just to give you other options.

Well, I would love to get that, but I have only AGP 4x.....

It would be completely bootable, right? I am going to be using it as the Master drive, with no slave, unless I can get this 20gig to work properly as a slave...

I am more worried about it not being completely bootable.....
The reason I say this is because it has software...
Also, based on some reviews it can be very troublesome.

Offtopic, mailpup, do you play CS:S?
I had a dream I was playing you on de_dust2....................... maybe I'm playing too much, along with surfing Techspot...

I do play CS:S but only offline against bots. On de dust2 I tend to camp back a bit behind the double doors (CT spawn side), aim through the opening and pick off those terrorists with a magnum sniper rifle (as soon as I build up enough money). Works well most of the time at the very beginning of the round. I can usually get most of them just from that position.

You need to check your BIOS to see to what extent it will allow other bootable devices. Some will, some won't.

Keep in mind that master and slave do not apply to SATA drives although you probably meant primary and secondary instead.

You could always boot from the original small hard drive which contains the operating system and use the new drive (connected to the PCI card) to install programs and store data. That way you don't have to worry about the booting issue.

Well, I would do that if this Hard Drive wasn't a whopping 5400RPM.

Actually, I didn't know that SATA was Primary/Secondary. The 20gig worries me as won't it cause everything to slow down? I believe it may be causing somewhat of a bottleneck in games, but am not sure.

Why do you play CS:S offline only? Playing online can be so much fun. Plus, why camp? Aside from the AI having extremely fast reaction times (they shoot without even aiming at you, and kill you), they are a good match once you get decent.

By primary and secondary I meant OS drive and secondary storage drive. If you install your games on the SATA drive, even though it is the non-OS drive, it shouldn't slow those games. Besides, it's not like you have a lot of choice. Give it a try and see how it works.

Maybe I'll play online one day. I guess it's just fear. Fear of getting my **** wiped. Camping only works for a little while. I do have to move out to help my bot team mates hunt the remaining enemy down. For fun I often buy no weapons other than an improved pistol and count on picking up dropped weapons only. I play other maps too, of course.

Oh, trust me, you'll get murdered, but that is what gets you good. Trust me! Camping never works, in fact, you usually get people mad at you! ;)

Anyway, ok, I will try that. We are ordering tomorrow, so wish me luck. BTW, I am going to get the more expensive card due to having better reviews AND the IDE slot...... X_D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back