PCs on network stop every day at same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielxx

Hi am having this problem i have a network which is made of 1 dell server and 3 dell pcs. I have this problem that once every day at 3pm the pcs freeze up they just stop I have to restart the pcs for it to work i think its something with the serve not to sure.

hum; only one of the clients systems and the others are ok or is it the server itself?

does your network still function for file/pring sharing and the Internet as well?

what kind of freeze; mouse stop tracking or windows will not minimize?

what services are the clients getting from your server; a domain controller or
what else?

all of the clients systems stop. Windows dose not respon it will just stop all together, mouse dose not move, start menu will not open with the win button only way to turn it off is to hold down the power button. Then once it restarts everything works as if nothing happen. File/print sharing & internet all work afther restart. server did not install any servces on the client computer except for remote service and the only program being use is a P.O.S.

Are there any scheduled tasks running on the server around that time?
What is the software running on the server? Are there updates for it?

What OS is the server running? Is the OS up-to-date with SP's and updates?

Was there a time when everyone was in fact working fine?

there are no task running at that time there is no software running on the computer except norton and the pos(point of sale). already upto date.

Running Server 2003 sp2 r? cant remmember at this time sorry as soon as i get this info i will post i do know its sp2 r something.

this is the thing i just started to help this freind out he says that it been like that ever since they took over.

Do you have enough licenses for each network access to the Server or did you setup the Certificates for each connection?

Run LANSpy (network security and sniffer) it's free no charge from www.lantricks.com from the server and use your IP range from the server to all 3 network desktop. Check to see if all that everything is running correctly.

from checking the network it looks like Certificates for each connection. I got the network secrity & port scanner but could not find sniff or dose sniffer come in the one i got. As soon as i get a chance i will try what you said. Ill keep you updated

mikescorpio81 said:
Does Event Viewer tell you anything?
Oh yea! Leads you to issues on the install/config that you were unaware of
and frequently, sufficient info for a good GOOGLE :)

sorry i havent posted for this posying today i went to look at the problem i was having i check eventlog nothing there it dosnt show anything for or around the time it stops.

Also ran lanspy everything looks good except for the fact that i turn off password expieration since it is a small company.

and i was worng its not r2 it is win sbs 2003 sp1 just upgraded to sp2 so i hope that fixes the problem any help would be helpful thanks.

I wasn't aware that SBS2003 SP2 was available ... Do you mean SP2 for Exchange 2003?

Things to check would be disk space, licenses, and if you are running Exchange without SP2, check the size of the store (priv1.edb file). It may have reached the 16GB capacity limit.

Read up on other restrictions SBS 2003 has ...

lol my bad yes thats what i ment. just i see alot of server so i mix them up sometimes. disk space is low 1.67Gb out of 16Gb on drive C: and D: has 60 out of 80Gb. I transferd all of the working files such as apps and data to that drive afther that i only got 4Gb of storage on C:

Licenses I have 5 used i belive it is 3

I will check the priv1.edb file when i get sent out again but if has reach the limit what can i do or what should i do.

even if this works, he will just run into the higher ceiling some other time.

enforcing Quotas is the only effective means to control the mailbox

That is true, but the regedit with Exchange SP2 allows growth from 16GB to 70+GB capacity ... a huge difference.

It is also hard to tell users to keep their mailbox at a certain size. Most CEO's will say no.

I tend to run Exmerges in quarters (2007Q1 - 2007Q2 and so on) and move the .PST files off the server. Work's a treat, but if you have the space, regedit and increase the store limit to something like 32Gb and if you have the same problem soon, look into moving data or restriction mailbox size. 32GB is alot of room for growth though, and you can more than double than amount in the future as well if need be.

Note: Exmerge stops at 2GB, that's why I break mailboxes into quarters. If you want the script I wrote to do this just ask me :)

Are you familiar with Exmerge? If not I would strongly suggest you read up on it before attempting to set one up.
My script is a mixture of switches, reliant on a good Exmerge in place.

In your position it would be easier to tweak the registry as per my previous post.

How exactly are you backing up Exchange at the moment? Veritas (or Symantec as it is now known as) or a product similar?

mikescorpio81 said:
TIt is also hard to tell users to keep their mailbox at a certain size. Most CEO's will say no.
That's debatable; my experience in corporate america is quite contrary --
every company had quotas on email. It has become such a major resource that
server down time easily becomes an issue for the whole company.

I agree with you jobeard! We have internal audits that are called 'Core Of Excellance' audits. The auditors check the mailbox size on every computer. If just 1 is over a certain size we lose points in the audit score!

You could always archive within Outlook, but then of course you have to worry about backing up local .pst files.

Because we are contractors and not full-time employees of our clients companies, we do what they say. They say they want to be able to keep as many e-mails as possible, we do it for them.

It's not so bad though. The largest IS i've seen so far is around the 25GB size, and it's been up for years.

If they want to keep alot of e-mails, I make sure Exchange is sitting on a large drive!

ok i look at the file it is at 8gb out of 16gb so i think we can rue that out as the cause of the problem.

Look through event viewer on the client PC's.
Perhaps take one client PC out of the Domain and re-join. Monitor if the problem occurs.

It could also be installed software on client PC's causing issues. Investigate the client PC's further as the server may not be the issue.

ok i check the software that are install as for event viewer i check there and there is nothing at the time this happens. I have tried joining the 2 computers to a workgroup and then back to the domain but same problem happens. The only installed software on the 2 computers are norton antivirus & a POS called keystroke

I have seen cases where Norton blocks network traffic due to some programs requiring portscan enabled, but it shouldn't cause the problems you are experiencing.

What kind of server do you have? There may be some diagnostic software available for it.

If Event Viewer isn't telling you anything on both the server and the clients, it could be hardware related on the server's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back