Philips launches world's first quantum dot monitor (and it's surprisingly affordable)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Philips has become the first manufacturer to launch a quantum dot monitor. The Philips 276E6 is a 27-inch IPS-ADS display with a quantum dot-enhanced LED edge array that's surprisingly affordable at just $299.99.

What the heck are quantum dots, anyway? For a quick briefer, you check out the video below or read David Tom's write-up from a few years back. Perhaps more important than learning what quantum dots are is understanding what they enable.

The Philips 276E6 features a 27-inch panel operating at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 at 60Hz. Like other IPS displays, it uses an LED backlight but that's where the similarities end as the quantum dot technology allows for a quoted 99 percent Adobe RGB gamut.

Digital Trends recently spent some time with the new monitor. The publication found the aesthetics refreshing but noted the flimsy stand that only adjusts for tilt, the lack of a VESA mounting kit and plastic panels that "bend in places they really shouldn't." That said, they didn't feel it was built for the long haul.

The real draw of the Philips 276E6 is, of course, the display. In that category, the publication found color accuracy and gamut were far better than what they're used to in this price range. The three-year warrant is also a plus but the 1080p resolution at a time when we're transitioning to higher-resolution displays is a bit of a disappointment.

If you're on a budget and need a very color accurate display, however, this will be hard to beat for the price.

Permalink to story.

"The three-year warrant is also a plus but the 1080p resolution at a time when we're transitioning to higher-resolution displays is a bit of a disappointment."

Why? I'm fairly sure monitor companies are "allowed" to sell more than one size & resolution of monitor at once...

Not another brand/model which will not be available again in the Philippines.
I have not seen a display model of any gaming monitor with gtg response time of 2ms.

what I have seen and readily available in local computer stores (southern Philippines) are variants of an asus 23" IPS FHD monitor with 4-5ms response time, around 8300php (46+ Philippine peso = 1$ u.s.). I recommended the VX model to my sis who bought it for her kids.

Not another brand/model which will not be available again in the Philippines. .
You probably have about as much luck in the Philippines as the USA.. Philips has come out with many really innovative and interesting panels, most of which just never get any widespread availability. I've often lusted after their units reviewed on tftcentral and prad, but could never find a source to buy one out of importing at a hefty premium.

$300 FHD at 27" is not a disapointment. It's a disaster. 2 years after first 4K monitors I'm still waiting for affordable 4K IPS/VA @ 32". Would be nice to buy one for under $300 by 2020.
No matter what is offered, it's never going to equal what you think you're entitled to, now is it? I suppose we should probably take this up again in 2020 though, but not a moment sooner...:p

You probably have about as much luck in the Philippines as the USA.. Philips has come out with many really innovative and interesting panels, most of which just never get any widespread availability. I've often lusted after their units reviewed on tftcentral and prad, but could never find a source to buy one out of importing at a hefty premium.
Remember, "Some of God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers", (Garth Brooks).

Philips, like another company on my avoid at all costs list, JVC, always seems to have the best ideas, but not the actualization of them.

For awhile Philips DVD players were available at Walmart, cheap. They never seemed to be able to read any shadow detail, and that got worse with time. Coupled, with easily breakable transport mechanisms, Philips product line has become a non starter for me, in whichever category.

JVC is the worst crap on the planet, right down there ,with "Coby". I never had a piece of it which met expectations or its own hype, and most of it broke within a few months of purchase. The best way I found to keep it in working order, is by not using it.

Last edited:
Philips, like another company on my avoid at all costs list, JVC, always seems to have the best ideas, but not the actualization of them.
so JVC is the father of the patent trolls, eh? ;)

Back