PlayStation 4's latest firmware update includes plenty of unannounced changes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PlayStation 4 owners may have noticed that Sony recently pushed out a new firmware update for the popular console. What gamers may not have noticed, however, is that the update includes a bunch of new features and tweaks that weren’t mentioned in the official change log.

One of the biggest unannounced changes is the return of the ability to play music from an attached USB device. For some reason, Sony decided to remove the feature as part of an update last September but now it’s back. Full details on how to pull this off have since been added to the official PlayStation 4 User’s Guide.

Other changes include the ability to disable the screenshot notification when taking a screenshot as well as the option to set a custom party size from 2-8 people. Sony has also made it easier to search for live game streams and edit in the Capture Gallery.

Sony rolled out firmware version 3.5 on Wednesday but it has taken a couple of days for gamers to discover some of the unannounced perks.

The update’s flagship feature is remote play, or the ability the play the console from a PC or Mac. An indie developer got Sony’s attention late last year by releasing an unofficial version of remote play, no doubt expediting the company’s development of the official version included in the new update. You can manually download the new firmware here.

Permalink to story.

Might give that new Remote Play feature a whirl!

Time to update the PS4 then. I swear I find myself doing an update everytime I turn it on! Clearly I'm not using it enough... :D

Might give that new Remote Play feature a whirl!

Time to update the PS4 then. I swear I find myself doing an update everytime I turn it on! Clearly I'm not using it enough... :D

Yeah I get the same problem. Although I have an XBOX one too and that bad boy updates one of the 12 OS'es Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to put on there every time I glance in its general direction, and the updates for that take aaaaaaaaages.

Last edited:
Typical Microsoft product. Every time I use Skype it updates. XBone is worse as it first updates itself, then when you think it's done and try to play a game... BOOM... it wants to update the game. The update are not small either, especially the game ones. Let's not get started about Windows here either.

Back