PlayStation 5 designer: In the beginning, it was much larger

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Sony’s new PlayStation 5, if nothing else, is large. At 15.4 inches × 10.2 inches in × 4.1 inches, it’s easily the largest PlayStation console to date. But what you might not realize about the PlayStation 5 is that it was initially even larger than what first broke cover in mid-June.

In a recent interview with The Washington Post, Yujin Morisawa, who serves as senior art director at the corporate design center of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said that when he started sketching the concept for the new console, it was even larger.

“I knew it was going to be larger because I know how much power there was going to be, so I knew how much air flow you would need and how much space for a heat sink,” Morisawa said. “It’s kind of funny that engineering actually told me it’s too big. So, I actually had to shrink it down a little bit from the first drawing.”

The end result is something Morisawa is happy with, describing it as the perfect size. Had it been any thinner, there would have been airflow issues, resulting in a noisier fan that might disturb gamers while they are playing.

As for inspiration, Morisawa said he came up with the term “five dimensions” when working on the PS5. “When thinking about the experience we have, it’s kind of, you are living in a parallel world or you’re jumping around time or space. This is the PlayStation 5, so five dimensions really fits.”

Morisawa also briefly touched on the PS5’s attention to detail – specifically, the textures used on the controller and the console’s outer shell. If you look closely, you’ll notice the texture is actually made up of the square, X, circle and triangle button icons from the controller.

Permalink to story.

"square, X, circle and triangle"
an X fan detected >> cross please
As for the size of the console I think it is costs related I mean, if Sony would have went MS way with non-overclocked GPU, I think they wouldn't have needed that big fan

It's not what I would call pretty but then if it sells it'll become iconic anyway. It's bold and different.

PS2 and PS3 were the same, on launch these bizarre boxes with unconventional styling, that actually played well as time passed because they lean into the 'brand' and gave them uniqueness. They were unmistakable for anything else.

It adds to the distinct recognition and people generally grow to like that, whether it's styling on a car or a building or electronics.

You know they'll only shrink it in 2-3 years anyway when they can put the SoC on 5nm.

The more time passes, the more convinced I am that Sony just can't design hardware. They just can't. It's ridiculous. And they don't even care. While playing TLOU2, I actually had to put the PS4 Pro far behind the damn TV to actually hear the game, because the damn thing sounds like a friggin jet engine. Now they come up with the new stuff that's like 2x the size, yet still a noisy b@stard. I could probably build a quieter mini PC with the same perf and volume from OFF THE SHELF parts.

I just don't get it. Will someone please tell Cerny and the other idolized smart@sses that small fan = big noise and big fan = small noise? A bigger fan moves more air, therefore, to deliver the same amount of air, you need lower RPM, and lower RPM means less noise. It's not friggin rocket surgery. Yet they keep using these stupid 80 mm or so fans.

Bottom line, either make that darn thing small or silent, but Sony actually doesn't manage to deliver on EITHER front. GG

The PS5 and the XBSX, both consume roughly the same, at little over 200W.
MS managed to design a console that is smaller, with a heat-sink that is half the size and is cool and quiet.
Sony's had to design a huge and heavy console, with a monstrous heat-sink, with liquid metal, just to do the same in terms of thermals and noise. What a joke.

The more time passes, the more convinced I am that Sony just can't design hardware. They just can't. It's ridiculous. And they don't even care. While playing TLOU2, I actually had to put the PS4 Pro far behind the damn TV to actually hear the game, because the damn thing sounds like a friggin jet engine. Now they come up with the new stuff that's like 2x the size, yet still a noisy b@stard. I could probably build a quieter mini PC with the same perf and volume from OFF THE SHELF parts.

I just don't get it. Will someone please tell Cerny and the other idolized smart@sses that small fan = big noise and big fan = small noise? A bigger fan moves more air, therefore, to deliver the same amount of air, you need lower RPM, and lower RPM means less noise. It's not friggin rocket surgery. Yet they keep using these stupid 80 mm or so fans.

Bottom line, either make that darn thing small or silent, but Sony actually doesn't manage to deliver on EITHER front. GG

The mere fact, that an "artist" was involved... illustrates how far up each Other's azzes these pretentious people are.

YOU let engineers spitball ways of designed the hardware. 1 big mobo, or two smaller with daughter card, 2 cooler, or one, etc..

And then go with best over-all design, .... THEN build out the art around that design...

While playing TLOU2, I actually had to put the PS4 Pro far behind the damn TV to actually hear the game, because the damn thing sounds like a friggin jet engine. Now they come up with the new stuff that's like 2x the size, yet still a noisy b@stard.
I haven't read a single review that doesn't praise how quiet the PS5 is. What are you on about?
The PS5 and the XBSX, both consume roughly the same, at little over 200W.
MS managed to design a console that is smaller, with a heat-sink that is half the size and is cool and quiet.
Sony's had to design a huge and heavy console, with a monstrous heat-sink, with liquid metal, just to do the same in terms of thermals and noise. What a joke.
Microsoft's console uses a vaper chamber, increasing the price and I'm glad Sony went Liquid Metal. Everytime I open up a PS4 or PS4 Pro, after a few years the thermal paste is just all dried up and barely working. Liquid metal on the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen dry up.

When you look at it, with all the curves and flanges, it looks like a large chunk of its size could have been shaved off by making a more rectilinear shape... personally I'm not that keen on the look of it. To me its just a bit silly - trying too hard - like the hairdo of an 80's new romantic...

Looks is subjective, it doesn't look that pretty to me, but in black it would be fine I think. Most important is the temperature and noise level.

Euugh! What does this gobbledegook mean?

..FFS, Get with the Metric times, America.
3RVlPld.jpg

I haven't read a single review that doesn't praise how quiet the PS5 is. What are you on about?

Microsoft's console uses a vaper chamber, increasing the price and I'm glad Sony went Liquid Metal. Everytime I open up a PS4 or PS4 Pro, after a few years the thermal paste is just all dried up and barely working. Liquid metal on the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen dry up.

Then you mustn't have been looking too hard, coz this was literally the first hit in Google when I searched for it:

I noticed the PS5's fan far more than the one on the box Series X. Occasionally, our review unit made an annoying, high-pitched whirring sound, especially when in sleep mode or idle.

A vapor chamber is a method, thermal paste is interface. Also, liquid metal? I doubt they're using mercury, so that leaves just Gallium, I think. I fail to see how gallium will transfer heat faster than a vapor chamber - and I promise you, both are probably using a ceramic or carbon-based thermal paste.

Then you mustn't have been looking too hard, coz this was literally the first hit in Google when I searched for it:

I noticed the PS5's fan far more than the one on the box Series X. Occasionally, our review unit made an annoying, high-pitched whirring sound, especially when in sleep mode or idle.
You don't smell broken machine or something else going on there? Every YouTuber (most of them couldn't even measure the sound as ambient noise was louder). Reviews claiming it's loud are very few. VERY few actually. Also, read what it says, louder when idle or sleeping? Use your noggin a little...
A vapor chamber is a method, thermal paste is interface.
Yeah, I was never disputing that? I'm telling you, for a fact, a Vapor Chamber heatsink costs more to produce that a normal heatsink.
I fail to see how gallium will transfer heat faster than a vapor chamber.
They're two different things, you could use liquid metal with a vapor chamber heatsink. Liquid metal has been proven for many years to improve cooling efficiency, The way I stopped my PS4 Pro from sounding like a hairdryer was to apply liquid metal, it was a night and day difference.

You don't smell broken machine or something else going on there? Every YouTuber (most of them couldn't even measure the sound as ambient noise was louder). Reviews claiming it's loud are very few. VERY few actually. Also, read what it says, louder when idle or sleeping? Use your noggin a little...

Yeah, I was never disputing that? I'm telling you, for a fact, a Vapor Chamber heatsink costs more to produce that a normal heatsink.

They're two different things, you could use liquid metal with a vapor chamber heatsink. Liquid metal has been proven for many years to improve cooling efficiency, The way I stopped my PS4 Pro from sounding like a hairdryer was to apply liquid metal, it was a night and day difference.

My Pro was like a Jet Engine, I simply reapplied paste. Noctua NT H1. Thats all it needed. No fancy liquid metal. When something is mass produced by people who don't care you get thermal paste applied like its a freaking mcdonalds burger. Its random. Grain of rice standard paste in the middle and now whisper quiet.

As far as the whining sound on the ps5 compared to xbox, probably true. Makes no difference to me, im not an early adopter, I don't want the melts in your hands edition, which burns out just after warranty, if your lucky for it to last that long even.

I shall wait a year, like any forward thinking person. Same goes with the covid vaccine that hasn't had the proper procedures at all.

Sure, and they're more effective and compact than 'normal' solid metal ones.

The way you phrased your original point of 'liquid metal vs vapor chamber' made it sound like they were competing technologies - as if there was a heat sink with liquid metal inside. I am still not sure what you mean by "apply liquid metal" though. Is there some kind of product out there where you just add a drop or two of "liquid metal" and magically your thermal transport from your process is improved? And where exactly are you applying this liquid metal?

Honestly, "liquid metal" sounds like 100% marketing gimmick that barely, if at all true. Like "Titanium golf clubs" that don't actually have any titanium in them.

Back