PLEASE HELP, computer won't turn on, fans come on and lights blink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Help me with this,
One day I get home, turn on my computer, it comes on... checking email...alls fine, then my computer just turns off... click the on button...loading... screen comes up...bam....off again! Not even any error messages! I continued like this for about 10-15 minutes untill now I only get it up for about .7 seconds and nothing appears on the screen.

Now,
1. I have the power supply, fine.
2. I have checked all peripherals, fine.
3. I have checked the video card and RAM on different computers, fine.
4. I have continually cried, fin... never mind...
5. I checked the Hard drives, mointor, all other drives, FINE!

My system specs are as follows:
| AMD Athlon 64 3200+ |)
| Gigabyte GA K8NS |)
| Apollo Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR |)
| 3 x Corsair 256GB DDRAM |)
| Western Digital 250GB ATA IDE HDD |)

Thanks in forward for any help or ideas, but one thing that I could use is howto test to see if you motherboard is damage.

Thanks even more!

Have you checked that your fans are spinning up? Is the heatsink sitting flush with the CPU? Have you made any changes to your hardware on the mobo?

Yes, I have the heatsink in place, the fans spin for a second but then immediately turn off, and no, I have not changed any hardware on the mobo.

Try pulling out your DDR and trying one stick at a time, in different slots. Also remove any additional cards like LAN or sound cards. Also can you get into the BIOS?If so clear it, and reset it to fail safe defaults. Also try to test your power supply. You can test it if you have a volt meter. Disconnect it from everything. Jump the green wire on the 20 or 24 pin connector to a black wire. That will turn it on. Red is +5V yellow is +12 and orange is +3.3. Blue is
-12 and white is -5. There is no actual mobo tester per se. Other than eliminating all other possibilities

OK, I tested the RAM and still the same with all of them.

I can't get into the BIOS and there aren't any beeps.

I tested the Power Supply and its better than fine.

If you know how to test the mobo, I would love to know, I think its either that or the BIOS, or some other random long geeky acronym.

Thanks for your guys help so far!

Pull the CMOS battery out and test it. That's the only other thing I can think of to try. you have pretty much tried everything else. If it was dying it would explain the slow changes down to no post at all you described. Like a flashlight that comes on bright then starts to dim slowly till it's gone.

I didn't know how to test the CMOS battery so I just bought a new one, though it still hasn't changed my predicament.

Thanks again for all the help, I think I'll try getting a new motherboard. But, If anyone has any more suggestions I'd love to hear them...

Make sure that the CPU and heatsink are fimly in place. My computer did the same exact thing when my heatsink came unseated.

This is probably your answer:

The email you opened had a version of the "Sasser worm" in it which causes machines to shut down as soon as they start up.

Try hitting F8 while your machine boots and see if you can restore your system to a point prior to opening that email.

Also check the Norton site for more info about the virus.

try booting to a floppy

I had a boot sector virus ten years ago that did the same thing and I ended up thinking it was my mother board and blew it up. Try booting with a disk that preferably has your anti-virus software on it. hope it works

Finished!

After replacing the mobo it booted right up, turns out the connections to my CPU somehow got fried a bit. Wasn't even overclocking it, maye there's some crazy overclocking virus to fry mobo's and CPUs!! Oh well, idk. Thnx for the help on this, and sorry for the very, very late responce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back