Please help...I'm stuck /smackhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas, Need some advice here, my comp is runnin very poorly especially playing games I'm getting very bad lag. The only thing I'v have changed is my video car from the Nvidia 5600 to now the Radeon 9800 xt. I made sure the nvidia drivers are gone and that i have the latest radeon drivers. Then I did a clean boot and still lag. I defragmented and it told me it was complete but some file couldn't be defraged (still quite abit of red in the after bar (win xp pro) so I went to do a disk check with auto fix files and bad sectors, rebooted and it just skipped it and went back to the desk top (tried several times) It just won't run disk check for some reason. I ran norton, spyware, checker and trendmicro they all found nothing. Could it be a bio's setting? ahhhh hehe please help me...also my HDD is working pretty hard as to before the new 9800 xt 256

Thx guys, Power

What kind of lag are you experiencing? For example, does it happen at certain spots in games? Perhaps only for certain games, resolutions or detail settings?

As always, it is a good idea to make sure you have the most recent drivers for everything. In your case, it will be good to make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from Intel (or your manufacturer) and the most recent catalyst drivers (4.5) from www.ati.com

I just recently had a problem with ACPI causing some serious performance problems. Changing my computer to "Standard PC" fixed these issues.

Try enabling Vsync. Sometimes when the FPS goes very high, your mouse starts to lag & you might get high ping values when you play online, etc...

I have 512 ram pc 3200 Kingston. One other thing it's not just the one game and it lags everywhere not just one spot in game. It's a MMORPG, I don't think it's thier server cuz it runs great on my wifes comp. As you can see by my profile her system it's that great. LOL and no i'm not a crackhead...

Believe it or not, I'd put money on it, you dont have enough ram. Those MMRPGS take up an OBSCENE amount of ram - what game is it? Planetside, starwars galaxies? My friend plays them, and going from 512MB to 1GB solved all his lagging problems. He'll be playing, and he will CTRL+ALT+DEL out, and planetside will be taking up 800MBs of ram.

Thx for the info I'll grab somemore ram, the game is ashrons call 2. 1024 mb you think or more? Again thanks so much for the replies. You all are the best.

Power

Yeah the 1GB barrier really hit the spot on his machine, for both MMOPRGs he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back