Please help! Sound driver was uninstalled on accident...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 4550, Windows XP... with an error that pops up when the computer is booted that states "the file P16X.sys on creative SB Live! Series (WDM) Audio Driver Disk 1 or CD is needed" I tried to download the driver off of Creative SB Live! but it failed and now I'm not sure what to do... any advice would be greatly appreciated. THAnks!

I don't think your sound card came with your Dell computer. I know that most SBlaster live! sound cards were bought after the computer itself. Is your sound card onboard or PCI card? if it's a Sblaster PCI sound card then, here is the site which you can get the driver for.

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/welcome.asp?action=next

the above link is for Win3.x Win95, Win98, 98SE, WinME, and Win2000
it will not support WinXp because the driver is already within Xp ifself.

If the soundblaster live soundcard came installed on yoru Dell then the divers for it will be on the dell resource disk.

still failing...

I tried installing the audio driver from the CD that came with the system... tried that several times and still states "Driver not found"... and I do have Windows XP so, now I'm at a complete loss as to what to do?? Thanks again!

I dont know how you tried installing the driver from the cd but generally you have to use the browse button and navigate to the correct folder on the cd in order for windows to find the driver.

Thanks everybody!!!! Big thanks!!!

It's alive! somehow I think I installed everything possible, regardless... it works! Thanks!!! =)

To prevent something like this from happening again, be sure to create a system restore point regularly.

Well, it's pretty easy actually. Click Start, then Go to All Programs. Then go to Accessories, then system tools, then finally system restore.

To create a system restore point, click the little button that says "Create a restore point" and click Next. Then, type in what you want to name this restore point, and click Create. Wait a few seconds. Eventually red lettering will come up stating that you have created a system restore point for whatever date you have on your system clock.

To go back to an earlier point, navigate back to system restore through the start menu. When the wizard pops up again, click the button that says "Restore my computer to an earlier time" next to it, and click next. This should bring you to a calendar of sorts. Days that have system restore points have bolded numbers. Be sure to restore to a recent restore point, and not one from way back. Going back to a restore point usually recovers missing drivers and the such, and will go back to before you had problems. Anyways, click the restore point you want to go back to, and then click next. This should bring you to a little write-up on what the system restore won't do and what precautions you should take. Click next again, and let your computer restart. Once you restart and you log on, it should say it successfully restored to an earlier point.

I hope I helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back