Porsche's all-electric 'Taycan' sports car will cost up to $130,000

Polycount

Staff

Remember the Taycan - Porsche's first all-electric concept sports car, initially unveiled back in August? Despite months of relative silence, the carmaker has finally given us some additional details about the vehicle; including pricing and pre-purchase info.

For starters, a brief recap of what we already know: the Taycan (which translates to "lively young horse, according to Porsche) is intended to be a high-performance, luxury EV. Porsche initially claimed that the car could reach 62mph in a mere 3.5 seconds, with a total range of 310 miles for a single charge. Early renders of the vehicle also revealed that it will have a pretty high-class interior.

Now, we know that the Taycan's pricing will match its performance. According to information obtained by The Drive editor Alex Roy, the vehicle will come in three variants, each more expensive than the last. The first Taycan will cost around the low $90,000 range, the "Taycan 4s" will be a four-wheel-drive model priced in the high $90,000s, and the Taycan Turbo will run you over $130,000 "before options."

We still don't know exactly when the Taycan will enter full production, but Porsche is hoping the first vehicles will roll off the assembly line sometime in 2019.

Permalink to story.

Oh well, the price seems very reasonable for such a posh (Porsche) car, for rich folks that is. I look forward to drooling on car mags pitting it against Tesla.

For some less expensive fun, buy a motorcycle. I have a lowly GSXR-600 (599 cc engine 4-cyl inline) and it has the same performance specs as this car ("Porsche initially claimed that the car could reach 62mph in a mere 3.5 seconds"). A four year old, 6000 km GSXR cost me $8,000 CAD. I've only done 230 miles on one tank (17 litre) but I didn't run it dry, that fill cost about $20 CAD for the 'high test'. Inexpensive fun

For some less expensive fun, buy a motorcycle. I have a lowly GSXR-600 (599 cc engine 4-cyl inline) and it has the same performance specs as this car ("Porsche initially claimed that the car could reach 62mph in a mere 3.5 seconds"). A four year old, 6000 km GSXR cost me $8,000 CAD. I've only done 230 miles on one tank (17 litre) but I didn't run it dry, that fill cost about $20 CAD for the 'high test'. Inexpensive fun
You can't ride it in winter and other bad weather.

You can't ride it in winter and other bad weather.
I'm sure I would also immensely enjoy its luxurious interior, problem is that I can't afford it and will never own one so I'll never know it's awesomeness. The moto I can afford

Too bad I live in a 3rd world country, we are not gonna be getting any EV in my lifetime...

"with a total range of 310 miles for a single charge"

I wish EV manufacturers whether be Porsche, BMW, Tesla, etc., reveal the true range of their cars in details. Of course they don't do that and they only reveal the Highest Number to sell their cars!

Porsche says 310 miles on a single charge. This would not be true most of the times. This number is for when the car driver is the only passenger, no load in the trunks and the car drives in a mostly flat road. Otherwise, the 310 would probably be in 250-mile range or less!

Another example is Tesla's Semi Truck. The company says the lower capacity version has 300 miles range but doesn't say the rest of the story (hauling load & total road slope)!

Pricing is actually cheaper than I’d expect... 911 Turbo is just under $200,000, with “regular” 911s running from 100-160 depending on options...

The spyder is going for like 900k, so this is a bargain :)
you consider the turbo is the high end and the gt3 & gt2 rs are regulars ok , what about the 918 you consider it a 911 also when u said the spyder

Hey auto companies...here is an idea, taken from the playbook of Henry Ford.
Make an affordable, dependable vehicle that even your own employees can afford.
You'll sell a TON of them.

you consider the turbo is the high end and the gt3 & gt2 rs are regulars ok , what about the 918 you consider it a 911 also when u said the spyder
Um.... I didn’t say the spyder was a 911.... I simply said the Taycan was a bargain compared to it.... maybe learn to read?

All batteries lose power on cold weather, apparently lithium batteries as well. You can bet any electric car manufacturer is giving those range ratings in 72 degree weather. Figure at least 20% less range if you're driving on a 30 degree day.

Go ahead kidz, fact check this. See what you come up with. Just be thankful we've moved past Ni-cads. They were atrocious in the cold.

"with a total range of 310 miles for a single charge"

I wish EV manufacturers whether be Porsche, BMW, Tesla, etc., reveal the true range of their cars in details. Of course they don't do that and they only reveal the Highest Number to sell their cars!

Porsche says 310 miles on a single charge. This would not be true most of the times. This number is for when the car driver is the only passenger, no load in the trunks and the car drives in a mostly flat road. Otherwise, the 310 would probably be in 250-mile range or less!

Another example is Tesla's Semi Truck. The company says the lower capacity version has 300 miles range but doesn't say the rest of the story (hauling load & total road slope)!
This is true of every company that makes any product.... laptops with batteries that last “up to” 10 hours that usually last closer to 6.... smartphones that “can go all day on 1 charge” that generally go 8 hours.... chocolate bars that have a “suggested serving” of 40 grams that you just KNOW you’re gonna eat 3 or more of :)

I can read just fine your Porsche knowledge that bothers me
You’re bothered by people more knowledgeable than you... sorry mate, maybe you should troll a slightly different genre of forum? Fox News maybe?

I understand English isn't your first language, but that's no reason to slam someone else's comment... I was simply making a somewhat facetious comment saying that compared to the very expensive Porsche Spyder, this car was a bargain...

Seriously though, if you look at the Porsche lineup, the Taycan sits right about where you would expect one of their mid-high end cars to be... Boxsters start at 60ish, and as I already stated, the Turbo goes for about 200k... Obviously the Spyder isn't really comparable, but it's not like I brought up the several million Pagani :)

Last edited:
Hey auto companies...here is an idea, taken from the playbook of Henry Ford.
Make an affordable, dependable vehicle that even your own employees can afford.
You'll sell a TON of them.
Wrong thread dude. We're talking about performance cars, not mass market. Toyota sells loads of boring Corollas to fulfill your requirements. Porsches are notably less boring.

Amazing to see electric cars developing but if those big companys want everyone to have a electric car they will need to lower the pricing since not everyone can pay 90k at least in mid 20's when ur living on a 2k budget

Back