Portable Thunderbolt drive promises 750MB/sec speeds for $799

Rick

Promise Technology today announced the availability of what it claims to be the world's fastest ultra-portable storage device with Thunderbolt connectivity: the Pegasus J2. At the time of this writing, the J2 appears to only be available at the Apple...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/50448-portable-thunderbolt-drive-promises-750mb-sec-speeds-for-799.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Yeah - it'll catch lots of weenies and the price will certainly create a class divide for a while. [I'm in the "cannot afford this" class btw]

ghasmanjr

"What makes the Pegasus J2 so expensive? Well, I'm not really sure"

I'm just going to point out the elephant in the crowd...the Apple tax.

Darth Shiv

Other parties supply Thunderbolt cables nowadays. How many people have boards that support it though?

cliffordcooley

I was wondering when they were going to start an SSD raid configuration in a portable enclosure. BTW, is this the first drive or is it just the first drive I have seen?

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
First one I've seen using mSATA, but there has been at least one using regular 2.5" SSDs released by Lacie.

Darth Shiv

Never complain about too much speed. It's a great enabler.

It's a bit disappointing it had taken this long for a 10Gbit serial tech to hit the market. With SSD tech it is already a bottleneck. Just look at Revodrive 3 X2 transfer speeds. It is so easy to just parallel up more data bus lanes and see proportional bw gains.

VitalyT

TechSpot Elite
What an incredible waste of money!!!

Today I can get 2 x Samsung 840 (256GB) for about $570 (512GB in total). In RAID 0 they will perform faster than 750MB/s on SATA-III.

So, the extra $930 is for the thunderbolt disk case? Really?

cliffordcooley

So, the extra $930 is for the thunderbolt disk case? Really?
That would be the first Thunderbolt case to support mSata in a raid configuration.

Of-coarse they are going to want royalties for being the first ones out the door with it. Sounds very much like any other company in existence.