Portable USB HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

astra

Hi All.

I was about to buy WD passport 500G when I noticed that they released a new edition and accordingly to the majority of the reviews on Amazon.co.uk Western Digital My Passport Essential 500GB USB 2.0
it is a disaster. They built s/w into HD's ROM, so you cannot get rid of it by formatting HD (it is loading a virtual cd-rom every time you plug the HD in. Just like Scan u3 usb stick, although I think you can get red of this one (didn't try it b/c I like it)). Also it has nonstandard small USB connector/cable.

So, I will have to buy either previous edition while stock lasts or I found another HD that looks OK but I don't know anything about it.
Samsung S2 2.5-inch 500GB USB 2.0
Do you know anything about this Samsung HD? I found more or less good review on Tom's h/w but I would like to hear from "real" people

You aren't necessarily limited to the major brands. You could build your own by buying an external enclosure and then fitting it with the drive of your choice. I no longer buy WD/Maxtor, Seagate, ect externals. I just find an enclosure with good reviews and a decent price, then match it up with the drive I want.

You aren't necessarily limited to the major brands. You could build your own by buying an external enclosure and then fitting it with the drive of your choice. I no longer buy WD/Maxtor, Seagate, ect externals. I just find an enclosure with good reviews and a decent price, then match it up with the drive I want.

You are absolutely right. That is what I have been told an hour ago. Silly me, why didn't I think about it myself?
I will go for Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM Scorpio Blue

and some sort of case, either:

or

Just remember the Scorpio blue is not as rugged nor as fast in actual use as some other Western Digital drives.

Just remember the Scorpio blue is not as rugged nor as fast in actual use as some other Western Digital drives.

Do you know what they put into their Passport HDs?

P.S. I think USB2 is going to be a bottle neck.

They vary from product run to product run... All that I have seen are Scorpio units, but Scorpio Blue is less of a drive.

I just checked WD website, they don't have 500G black edition.

I have passport 320G and its speed is fine. I "think" it is most likely blue.
I don't really need speed, I need quality/reliability, b/c I am going to use it for backups.

Keep us informed. I don't think there is such a thing as a reliable 500 GB 2.5" laptop hard drive... If you want reliability, go smaller. Get a Seagate 160 or 250 5400 rpm. We find them more reliable than Western Digital.
There are just not any numbers in yet on any laptop hard drive larger than 120 or 160 GB. Too few have been sold or installed.

Keep us informed. I don't think there is such a thing as a reliable 500 GB 2.5" laptop hard drive... If you want reliability, go smaller. Get a Seagate 160 or 250 5400 rpm. We find them more reliable than Western Digital.
There are just not any numbers in yet on any laptop hard drive larger than 120 or 160 GB. Too few have been sold or installed.

Sure, will do.

My HD will not have as much load as laptop's HD. No overheating, which is probably the biggest HD killer in laptops. I will use it once/twice a week? :)

P.S. thanks for all the advices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back