Power cut out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimesy69

i have this problem, my pc cuts out and simply reboots all by itself, now this occurs i think when there is a high demand for R.A.M. i have recently installed 2x512mb sticks of pc3200. giving my total of 1280 mb R.A.M. do i have to set voltage or anything like that. iam only 16 and unsure whats wrong.
any one know? :(
i also forgot to add that i have a 3w neon tube plugged in to my psu.

grimesy

My first reaction would be that your PSU is underperforming and cannot handle that much load. What else do you have running off of it? Maybe fill out your User Profile so we know what kind of hardware you have :)

power cut out

i have a 550w power supply, i dont think thats too small, what else could it be?

grimesy

power cut out

actually after thinking i had a 500w psu its actually 350w. this should still be powerful enough.?

hardware:
40gb harddrive
amd 2500+ 1.8ghz
1280 mb ram
dvd drive
superflower fan with led's
neon tube

If this is a self-built computer, and the PSU came with the case, you can be pretty sure that it is a total piece of crap PSU (unless it is an Antec case with Antec PSU).

Apart from that, what is the speed of the original 128MB RAM?
Mixing two types of RAM nearly always causes problems. Try it with only the new ram in it, try different slot-combinations if necessary.

grimesy

shall i try just my brand new 1024 mb ram?. o and by the way i just bought a new psu (500w.) i reckon that should be better.

1+ Gig of RAM is more than plenty...
I agree with the others the likely culprit is the PS.

paatio. :cool:

grimesy69 said:
shall i try just my brand new 1024 mb ram?. o and by the way i just bought a new psu (500w.) i reckon that should be better.

Yes, take the old 256 out. Run only the new 512s. If it works then there you go, as rbs said some RAM just isn't compatable with other types.

Also if you think its your power supply, is there any hardware you can remove temporarly to see? Like another hard drive, or throw in a less demanding video card for a while.

i cant take anything out that would affect the total wattage use. i only have 1 hardrive and my graphics card is quite basic (geforce fx 5200.). anyhow i have purchased a brandnew 500w psu off ebay and iam waiting on delivery as soon as that comes i will test all my R.A.M if problems still occurs i will remove my old and in with the new. grimesy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back