Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexexex

Hey guys, I'm deep in it this time...

I was playing some Battlefield Bad Company 2 when suddenly the power just dies.

(It was raining a little bit, and kinda windy... didn't except this to happen.)

On reboot, I notice my boot takes 10 seconds longer than usual.

(The 10 seconds are before the log-in screen with the black loading screen)

I restart again and this time the boot takes 30 seconds (black loading screen) , for a total of 1 minute.

If it means anything I kind of have a bad power set up with extension cords connecting to one another with power bars.

I've tried disk check, didn't find anything of interest. 0 kb bad sectors.

Tried system file checker... it said it found some corrupted files, but I'm not allowed to access the log. Access Denied.

I've defragged, reg check, cleaned files. Nope. 10 seconds extra. I hope I didn't kill my hdd or other components!

But through my efforts, I have yet to see an improvement.

So now I'm wondering... how the heck did I get an extra 10-30 seconds?

I'm going to kill something soon... I shoulda, coulda, is now going to get a UPS and surge protection after I sort out this performance killer.

Thank you very much, Alex.

You may have a damaged power unit. You can only test by replacement. Corrupt system files reported by system file checker is possibly a side-effect, or just that you missed a number of MS patches.

I think your best bet is a re-install with all service patches afterward.

You could first experiment with a search for damaged hardware. Remove everything you possibly can - all printers, optical drives, add-on drives, network cables, even video card if you have an onboard video chip to use instead. With nothing to run except a HDD and a video of some sort, does the problem go away? If so, add things back one at a time. Maybe you will find the damaged item.

Oh man are you sure I'll have to reinstall windows AGAIN?!

I believe my updates are "up-to-date", right now I'm running memory diagnostics that came with windows 7.

My computer seems to be working great except for the extra 10 seconds on boot. Do you think I could just let it slide?

I don't really mind the extra boot time if it means that I'll have to reinstall to fix it, which might not even work...

As for damaged components... what are the symptoms of a damaged computer? I had a three pronged power bar... so I think it was grounded?

Ironically, my aunt gave me a nice Surge Protector the day after the power outage... Still going to get a UPS.

have a look in your bios at your settings. I have seen power interruptions change bios settings and set things askew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back