Power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have just looked at an E-machines 370 computer that is constantly switching itself off, maybe after a few mins or maybe after several hours, there seems to be no consistency to it.
The spec is as follows:
Celeron 1.8GHz
256Mb RAM
80Gb Maxtor hard drive
Onboard Intel graphics and sound.

I have checked the memory, motherboard and the hard drive and all tested OK. All cables were OK. Windows Xp was reloaded a couple of weeks ago, it has been checked for virus's and spyware. I have installed a new power supply. In the couple of hours I was there it never rebooted once but has rebooted since I left :mad:

I can only think that it has to be a problem with either motherboard or processor unless any of you can guys can suggest something else.

check the motherboards attachment to the case...make sure it is fixed in place properly and nothing is making contact with it that shouldnt, and that those gold supporting screws are being used (unless there is some form of mounting alternative already in the case chasis)

I checked the motherboard using the facility within Micro 2000 "Microscope".
The power in the house is normal home supply which I assumed to be OK, it has not given problems before and the powering down of the pc has only started fairly recently.

Is it a branded power supply? Do you have a spare power supply you can try. I recall reading in a number of forums some time back that E-Machines was notorious for using cheap power supplies that would die with no warning. Now mind you, that may have been taken care of but it's worth checking into.

The server where I work was constanty rebooting until we discovered the UPS was dead and the power surge protector was also dead.

Do you have a surge protector or is it just plugged into the wall? :p

Well to be fair the psu I fitted was a cheap one by Mercurey, although I have fitted many without a problem. I can try another suppy taken out of another pc.
The pc is just plugged into the socket, without a surge protector.

From the comments I am getting from you all it seems that the general feeling that it is a power supply problem.

suddenly rebooting

I have an old systemax athlon 1.3 gig, 384ram, 60gig hard drive, dvd drive, cdrw drive with a couple other usb hardware
My troubles are the when im burning a cd or watching a dvd the computer suddenly reboots
ive noticed that when im burning a full cd it reboots but if i burn just a cd with little mega bytes used its ok
This is very annoying as you all can imagine im lookin to see if anybody else has had this problem and what i can do to fix it
iwas thinking maybe its the power supply it sometimes makes noises
Thanks To all who have any information on how i can go about remedying this problem
Thanks

Welcome to TechSpot
Your CPU might be overheating, check that the cooler is seated properly, and has thermal paste between CPU and cooler.
Having all that hardware hanging on the PSU, you would probably need about 300-350Watts. Disconnect the DVD and whatever you can spare of the USB-bits, and try again.
If it then works, it means you need a bigger powersupply. Go for a brand-name, such as Thermaltake, Enermax or Antec and get 430Watt or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back