Power supply installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem with a Power Supply I recently bought.It is a 525W Heroichi power supply. I installed it to the case( a 6a series case), I plugged the power cord to the mainboard, I connected the peripherals and drives but the system does not start up. The motherboard (a Gigabyte 7vaxp) has a small light indicator that lights up when the power supply is connected and functioning. This LED is turned on showing the power is connected. I suspect that the problem has to do with a small 2pin cable that the power supply has(a black and white cable)
and I don't know where to connect.

Thanks in advance

That black and white cable is just another fan cable from the power supply.

Did you make sure you connected the power switch wires from the case to your motherboard? As well as the other bells and whistles from the case?

I know from many personal experiences that the light indicator on motherboards means almost nothing.

The only thing you can be sure of is the light works on the board. ;) You know it is getting power, but how much and where? Who knows...

From my experiences, when the light works and the system will not come on, there are a few possible problems I've seen. So check these things if possible:

1.) The PSU (powersupply) is bad. Try another PSU.
2.) Your power switch is broken
3.) Your power header is not connected properly (the cable that runs from the switch to the board)
4.) Backwards internal USB cables. I recommend disconnecting all drives and all cables. Start it up with just the memory, CPU and video card. If it turns on and you get a video signal, then you can start adding each device one by one and see what is causing the problem.
5.) CMOS needs to be cleared. You can take out the battery or short the CMOS jumper to clear it.

The voltage idea is a very good one that most people don't think about. It will cause the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back