Power supply issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminha

Could anybody tell me if this:

Antec SL450PGB 450W ATX P4 Smartpower Dual Fan Power

would work in an emachines case? Im upgrading the card to a x800 xl and putting a g of ram in but it was suggested that this wouldnt work in the case.

Ive just checked on the manufacturers website and my mobo is compatible with:
atx 12 v2.0 or sfx 12v 3.0 with 2x2 connectors

would this work providing it fits in the case.

Thanks for any replies and help.

Welcome to Techspot.

It depends on the case's design, but most modern pc's use atx power supplies. What model is the emachine?

It should work, boards either have a 20 or 24pin main connector, but there are adapters both ways, so it probably can be made to work, if it won't connect at first.

Thanks loads.

The model is a 5240 it uses a d915gag intel motherboard.
i have found instances where people have used them and apparently you can plug the 20 pin into the 24 in this mobos case,although I'm not a hundred percent sure.the dimensions are nearly exact down to .2 of an inch and theres plenty of room left.

It looks like you have a 24pin board. Many 24pin boards can work with a 20 pin power supply. I ran my vnf4/ultra that way for a while, until I got a 24pin model.
The 20 pin would only fit one way into the plug as illustrated in my picture.

The extra 4 pins apparantly give more power to pci-e cards(graphics), so as long as you have a graphics card that has an external power connector it should be fine. Although I ran my 6600gt in the system while connected with the 20 pin and it doesn't have external power and it seemed to work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back