Pretty basic question on graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an integrated Intel Extreme Graphics chipset thingy (according to the manual), and I'm planning on purchasing an ATI Radeon 9250 card...

Do I have to do anything to disable the (presumably on-board) graphics card? Or should I just go ahead and install ATI card? Does anyone perhaps know of any problems that have arisen when doing this?

any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mephisto

On a board new enough to have an Intel Extreme, it should be automatic. So most likely - No worries!

Some boards (older ones, especially) require a certain header/jumper configuration. You'd have to consult your board manual or manufacturer for that info though.

Your BIOS setup will have the option (most lkely) for "Display Init".. PCI or AGP. Your system will work fine with either, but if you buy PCI - You should set it to PCI. This might shave a good 0.5 seconds off your boot. :giddy:

Be sure you are certain what expansion slots your mainboard has first- not all mainboards with integrated graphics also have an AGP slot! If it does not, you'll be extremely limited in your choice of PCI videocards to choose from.

As far as the on-board is concerned, as already mentioned- check in your BIOS or your computer's manuals to see if there is either a jumper inside the case or a BIOS option to disable the on-board video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back