Primary DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn about the basics of computer networks these days and I came across " Primary DNS Suffix" and " NetBIOS Computer Name" while looking through My Computer---> properties, could you please tell me what they are and how I can use them?

Also, what is the difference between "Domain" and " Working Group"?

Thank you guys so much!

Best regards,

DNS: the answer is LEAVE THEM ALONE.

There are two primary means to configure TCP;
  1. DHCP where the configuration is imported from the DHCP server
  2. manually where you must be able to set all the settings correctly by your self
Using DHCP, the DNS addresses get set along with the other settings.
The SUFFIX stuff is optional and therefore unnecessary and best left alone

Domain:
The Domain is short for Domain Name and implies that there is a system on the
network that operates a Domain Controller(D.C.) and/or LDAP service.
We see these ONLY in commercial systems where there's an Network Admin that has
responsibilty for the servers and company systems.
No HOME user should use this choice (unless there's a D.C.)

Workgroup:
This is used by the typical home user to collect all the systems on the router into
one logical unit.
If you dbl-click View Entire Network, the middle icon is Microsoft Windows Network
and opening it will show whatever workgroup-name you have chosen.
Expanding it (dbl-click), all the systems that are currently running will show up
and the file shares (if any) are shown.

The primary DNS suffix is used when you are working in a domain and when your computer registers itself in a compatible DNS server. Also, the suffix is tried when you refer to a host by its short name. A la if you want to access "turkey", then "turkey.primary.suffix" is tried.

NetBIOS computer name is another naming scheme that lets you use short names to refer to other computers and doesn't necessarily rely on a central name server like DNS. Basically, this is the name that you can access this computer from other machines on the local network.

When Windows resolves a name, then it tries both of these methods. A la if you try to browse \\chicken, then Windows first checks its local configuration files (hosts and lmhosts) for a "chicken" entry. if there is none, then it looks at DNS and NetBIOS caches. Then it tries the NetBIOS name "chicken" and then it tries the DNS name chicken.primary.suffix and after that any additional suffixes you have specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back