Status
Not open for further replies.
Soyo KT880 dragon 2
AMD 3000+
2 Hitachii SATA hard drives
Windows XP sp2

dvd rom on IDE Secondary
cdrom on IDE tertiary

The IDE primary shows in both BIOS/CMOS and XP device manager, however any device I attach, does not show in CMOS.
I have an old cd writer that was working.
I bought a new case fan with LED lights after I installed the fan, the IDE Primary is unresponsive, I of course have unplugged the fan.
Any ideas ?

Already tried

I can connect a working device on the seconday IDE as either master or slave and it works fine, when I change the cable to the primary it is not recognized in either configuration. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you set the devices on primary IDE to be autodetected in the BIOS?

If you are using an 80 connector IDE cable then you have to plug the blue connector to the mobo, black to the master and blue to the slave.

Great Suggestion

Thanks for the tip. Everything was working fine for a few months. Then after I installed the fan, the primary IDE quit responding. The Secondary IDE is working fine and I have them both set to auto in the BIOS. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Did you remove the drive at all?

You never ground it off the case?
*ahem i have never done this LOL

Use chkdisk and check the Mbr (master boot record) for errors.
The hd could be damaged - however unlikely especially from just installing a fan. did u power off b4 installing it? Sounds like you ground something off the drive somehow. Clear your cmos - or reset config data to default - if its an old board ground the pins or pop the battery out. The newer boards will have a jumper u can remove ground to another set of pins.

Hope This helps

-Cheers-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back