Printer problems after registry change

NZvista

Hello,

Being the more 'computer literate' person in the group, a friend recently asked me to assist her in changing the default install path for applications. This was achieved through the generic registry change detailed in many guides on the internet.

Problematically, after changing the default install path from C drive to D drive, peripherals such as the printer are not being recognized.

Does any body have any idea how this could be rectified?

Thank you.

The change achieved the initial demands, to have the install default location changed to a partition with more space. Unless there is another way to change the install path, outside of the registry (without having to do it manually for each install), im trying to get around the side effects. Thanks

i understand completely. but how often are you installing software that you need that change. Alternative would be to.....
1. use GParted (a live Linux CD) that will let you change the existing partition sizes to increase the size of the C: Drive. You may want to try that first. it can be pretty wasy depending on your existing configuration
2. The is another key that I have used at HKLM/Software/windows/curent version/device path . I use this a lot with new computer setups so this may not work for you nut it'd be worth a shot.
3. Just change the C to a D everytime you install

I've never had the need to change that configuration but give it a shot

I wouldn't alter the registry for this as I think many potential pitfalls. Instead, many program installers allow you to select/browse to the drive and folder you want.

I,d only install to a different drive when the installer supports it for you

Listen to LookinAround.

Don't mess with the registry.

It is almost always better to let the installer choose the installation path.

Back