Printer takes 6 minutes to print document

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepeco

Having problems with an HP Laserjet 1020. It's a USB 2.0 connection to the computer. I updated the drivers to the latest, uninstalled the old driver and installed the new one. Rebooted and still, my printer took forever to print.

I tried various documents, all simple and normally they would print instantly. I opened notepad, typed a line and it took 6 minutes, 20 seconds before the printer activated and printed the document.

Does this sound like a printer problem or a USB port problem? The USB port is a 4-port card I purchased at a computer store and it seems to work fine with all my other devices, like my photo card reader and portable HDs. I even tried the proprietary USB 1.0 port. Same thing.

I have an older Sony computer (2004) with XP Home installed, 512 RAM, Pentium 4. Any suggestions?

Not sure about this one.
- Have you tried unplugging all other USB devices, except the printer and seen if that works?
- Do you have another computer to try the printer on?
- Did the printer ever work with this computer?

The computer did work fine at my office using other printers. I moved it to my home office, re-formatted the HD and reinstalled the factory default load and started fresh, so I thought. I did remove all other devices attached to this machine. I've put the same question to HP tech support, however I've not had good support answers from them in the past.

I have used this printer with the previous computer that was at my home office. It worked just fine with that one.

See if you can get it to print faster by using RAW format.

Since there are so many variations on printer drivers.
Print spooled documents first
Print in RAW format

Or Print directly to printer. Most of the newer laser printers have at least 128mb of ram, and can buffer almost as fast as printing. Rather than depending on windows to spool info, when the swap file may be busy or hard drive is already thrashing.

sounds like a spooling issue. Check your spooling settings in the control panel under printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back