Problems w/connection, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A few weeks ago I was able to connect and surf the 'net with my wireless router without any problems (It's a Linksys WRT54GX), but up until about 3 weeks ago it completely stopped working and the only way I am able to connect is through a wired connection.

I've tried to access the whole 192.168.1.1 setup but my computer won't even let me get into that! I've also reset my wireless router and still no luck.

Any detailed help would be most appreciated. I have no problems using a wired connection, but I also have a laptop that is pretty much rendered useless without the wireless connection.

Thank you for any help.

check that the router replys

Since you really need to get into the reuter menu to verify your wireless settings. It's probably best to troubleshoot by first getting the reuter to verify it's there.

plug your computer into your router.

go start>run

type cmd and hit enter

then in the console window type:
ping 192.168.1.1

you should get 4 replys.

what do you get?

upon using the "ping 192.168.1.1", I get...

"Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64"

That's the four replies I get, so I'm assuming everything SHOULD be in order. And yet, it still won't connect to the admin, or anything for that matter.

whats important is you did get a reply.
4 timouts would mean it wasn't connecting at all.

for kicks type ping techspot.com ;-)

I'm not going to second guess you reseting your reuter, but unplugging it for a couple minutes and holding down the reset button would do it.

Sometimes a new toolbar on your browser will incorrectly redirect your browser
make sure you use the HTTP:// in
http://192.168.1.1/
That brings up an Unable to connect message?

you aren't for instance using a new dsl or cable modem? voip reuter etc?

wow..

Somehow...even after doing the exact same thing you told me to do hours before...it worked! I'm all set up on both the laptop and desktop.

Thanks so much for your help guys, it was definitely useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back