Problems With Mobility Radeon 9000 on Dell Inspiron 5150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, while playing games my display has started become distorted, and weird patterns appear. It usually happens within a minute of use, sometimes earlier or later. It also randomly happens on my desktop, but not often. It seems like the display has gradually gotten worse since the problem started. I've tryed calling dell tech support but all they haven't been much help since not too many of them speak good english.
This is what I have done to try and fix it: Connect to external monitor, reinstall operating system, delete and reinstall all drivers.

It seems odd that this would happen on both your laptop and desktop. Do you have an antivirus running? AVG is a good free anti-virus if you need one. Otherwise, these type of problems are common side effects of overheating. If your ambient room temperature is unusually high, try opening a window. You also may want to check that dust isn't choking your computers.

Sorry, but what I meant by Desktop was the Windows Xp Interface screen, not another PC. Im currently using Norton anti-virus, and I did a system scan before I re-installed the operating system and nothing came up as infected.

My Laptop sometimes seems like it overheats quit rapidly when using 3d accelerated games, but my room temperature isn't really abnormally high.

Ok, I did a quick check over at dell.com on your laptop, and they have a new BIOS update you may want to try. As well as some video drivers that came out Sept 29. You may want to try those as well.

Otherwise make sure that none of the air vents are blocked or covered, including the vents on the bottom of the laptop.

my cousin has the same laptop but with a quadrofx5200 graphics chip. it arrived with the lcd showing only green. dell was nice enough to come to his house (he bought the on-site service) in Victoria, Canada, take it to the warehouse in Vancouver and give him a replacement within about 10 days

Dell uses an OPK of the OS

Hi,

I work in a software compatibility testing lab, and I can tell you that Dell uses their own revision of the Windows OS. It's called an OPK (OEM Pre-Install Kit), they tweak the OS for their support needs. Unfortunately this causes problems when using any software or hardware not supplied at the time of purchases. There are tweaks done to the DirectX engine that affect Audio and Video performance not seen when a full install of the OS is performed. We have systems from Dell with similar issues, but when we blow away the OS supplied from Dell and install our own full version of XP and do the updates from MS and install the drivers, the problems disappear.

You may want to try installing a store bought (computer show) bought version of the OS and see if this resolves your problem.

Good luck.

Q42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back