Problems with network connections after new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing windows XP Professional on my friends ACER TravelMate 2480, we ran into a whole mess of problems. Ultimately I decided to to Re-reinstall windows after getting frustrated with the mass of problems.

Durring the Re-reinstall, I repartitioned the drive, reformatted the drive and continued with the install as normal. After it was all said and done, everything seemed to be in working order, until I tried to install all of the drivers lost in the mean time.

I later found out that some drivers would install normally, but others required that I manually start the DCOM Server Process Launcher. I found this a little odd because I have never run into this problem before.

Anyway, I finished all of installs for the ACER drivers (at least the ones that their web site lists), but can still not figure out why I can not get online by any means. I set up ACER's broadcom wireless LAN and nothing. I set up ACER's Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and nothing (actually this gives me the prompt "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software was unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. Please install a supported adapter."). I even tried to set up an external wireless adapter (Linksys) but still I come up with nothing. Not even connecting to my desktops hardwire give me internet.

I am just not sure about what to do anymore. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you can download all your drivers using another computer, do that first.
Then do a complete new install with reformat, using your recovery disk.
Then once installed, use your acer set to re-establish all drivers. If you do not have that set of discs for drivers, media, etc, then use the downloaded set you just made. Watch carefully where every driver is installed, and how it is accessed. On many of the Acers on which I work, you have to complete the install of the drivers using the device manager, and you need to know where they are before you can use the device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back