Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

The Computer in subject:
MSI Motherboard; AGP 4X
666Mhz PentiumIII Processor
758MB SDRAM
20GB HDD

This computer currently has a nVidia TNT2 32MB AGP 2X or 4X not sure, and I just bought a ATi Asus A9250 (128MB, AGP 4X), whacked it in, and no visuals. I am currently guiding the computer on a horrible monitor card which is useful so I can actually see what I'm doing. I tried different drivers and everything, any suggestions? I'm considering the suspects to be a too weak power supply or maybe that the card says minimum requirement: 800Mhz Processor, but I don't think it could make that much of a difference. I doubt its a faulty card because XP detects it and tries to install drivers, but one driver wants me to insert a CD I don't have, and the other one says it can't install because "Access is denied". Its frustrating, this is the second card I've tried to buy for this computer that hasn't worked.. Please help.

Anyone? I really need some help here, it looks like its definatly a driver issue..

Did you uninstall the old nvidia drivers?

Look for Detonator Destroyer (or something similar) to make sure you get rid of all the old files and settings. Then try re-installing the ATI card..

I'm pretty sure I removed them, I removed two nVidia files with Add & Remove Programs, one of them I think said it was a driver. But my problem is installing the new driver, I searched the net but there dosn't seem to be a downloadable driver for it. Also Detonator Destroyer dosn't seem to have a version for the driver I had for the nVidia.

You can get the latest drivers for your new ATI card here...
(It's part of the Radeon series, so you can just take the latest catalysts whenever you need drivers)

As long as it's compatible, it doesn't matter if it's 8x or 4x... 8x is backward compatible with 4x...
So I don't see what problem you should have because of that...

Can you post the name of the motherboard? It can be that you need a new version of the bios for the card to work....

hehe, I know how annoying it can be, so I'll try to help...

If you go into the BIOS what are the AGP setttings set to?
AGP 4x mode has to be enabled for your card to function...

I have had it set to AGP 4X and AGP 128MB, the RAM of the card, this whole time.
I've also tried different monitors on the card, no luck, and the same monitors on other computers and their fine, so it can't be a problem with the monitor..

No, it's definately with the computer or card... It's just figuring out if it's a faulty card, or something wrong in the system that's the hard part....

Can you borrow a similar card to test if that works?

I can't really think of anything else right now... :-/

I have a GeForce 5 spare as well, that was the first card i tried, but that just didn't show up at all, no detection whatsoever. Oh well, I was planning on getting a new motherboard anyway, it needs one anyway. Thanks so much for your continued help MrGaribaldi. Now to save up for the motherboard, I found a really good deal, new motherboard and 2.4Ghz Celeron for only $170! (Oh, thats $170 Australian)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back