Proplem Running Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem Running Programs

I have been having problems running various random programs. For instance the most recent occurance, i was attempting to instal ActivSync software for work, I downloaded the program and after clicking it to instal, the files extract and the hour glass apears as if it is going to work and then it goes away and nothing happens. I look in the task manager and it is not in the applications but it is running in the processes. Any ideas??? I really need to fix this.

You could try running scandisk or chkdsk. If that fails try a os install over your existing os.

what operating system and service pack are you running? this problem can be easily caused by malicious software. do you have any protective software installed and functioning? (antivirus and/or firewall)

I am adding to what zephead has stated. These days just running an antivirus is not enough. One needs an updated antivirus and a few others such as adaware (free), spybot search & destroy (free) and msoft antispyware (also free). I would also add "hijack this" (free) to the list but its a bit tricky to use. You can google all of these and, as stated, they are free.

You can also do an online scan at places such as trend-micro.com.

You see, standard antivirus programs dont catch all viruses (virii) and they are bad at catching trojans\malware\spyware and others. Therefore you need the other type of programs i have mentioned above. There are others as well of course. I have a lot more than that installed on my pc. Again, no one program does it all!

I suggest you get these programs but first do an online scan at trend-micro and let us know the results. I wouldnt be surprised if you have some malware problems. It could even be in your mbr but we will get to that if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back