PS5 review unit allegedly has only 667GB of storage

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: An alleged "review kit" for the PlayStation 5 reveals a smaller storage capacity than the 825GB SSD that Sony has promised. The supposed system screen reads that it has a 667GB HDD. Could this be a hoax, or is Sony really issuing downgraded review units?

Yesterday, a Redditor revealed that the upcoming Xbox Series S has a measly 364GB of available storage space, which is somewhat shocking considering the size of video games these days. Now a Twitter user leaked storage specifications for the PlayStation 5, showing 648GB of usable drive space. For reference, the XBSS has a 512GB SSD, while the PS5's is 825GB.

While it is not surprising that some of each console's storage is eaten up by operating systems and potentially preinstalled apps like Apple TV and others, these low final numbers are disappointing for next-generation consoles. Triple-A titles are just under 80GB on average, even on current-gen hardware. Some titles are even reaching into the hundreds of gigabytes now. Factor in the added baggage of 4K assets, and PS5 and XBSX|S games are likely to exceed 100GB of install space on average before long, if not at launch.

Before getting in an uproar, keep in mind that this information comes from someone with a review kit rather than through official Sony channels. His system info also lists the storage as a 667.176GB HDD rather than the 825GB SSD listed in Sony's specs. It could be that review units are getting cheaper (and slower) storage solutions, but that seems counterproductive in generating good reviews.

That said, 648GB of alleged available storage is still higher than what came on the 500GB PS4 at launch, but not by much. Furthermore, as the PS4 matured and games became more advanced, that space went fast. Of course, this prompted Sony to issue a 1TB model two years into its lifecycle. Even now, a 1TB drive does not feel like enough for the PlayStation 4.

Sony has said that the SSD in the PS5 will be upgradable and that it also has an NVMe SSD expansion bay, but a typical third-party drive will lose the advantages of the PS5's super-fast storage architecture. Sony has not revealed when it will release higher capacities for its proprietary SSD, but you can bet they won't come cheap. The Seagate expansion card for Microsoft's XBSX|S runs $220. We can expect a similar expense for Sony's upgraded storage solutions.

It's also worth noting that this claim could be someone trying to pull off a hoax. It would not be hard to spoof a system settings screen for a system that nobody has seen yet. So take the news with a grain of salt and treat it as a rumor until we get to see the real thing when the PlayStation 5 launches on November 12.

Permalink to story.

I dont think it is wrong or fake. Based on Digital foundry the XSX was about 850~ GB, they said the left space is allocated for fast resume/cache games and I think same apply for PS5.
Our hope is third party storage or maybe HDD with RAID 0

As per usual the consoles are pared to the bone and built to a price. Hidden costs everywhere, nothing new there.

Series S is ludicrous, it's a digital only console with enough space for about 5 or 6 full retail games on it. Why bother. Honestly.

I said this before, but here it goes again: fast SSD is useless if nothing fits on it. Especially because you'll have to replace it anyway. I'd much prefer big SSD over extremely fast.

Maybe I'm out of the loop but did they advertise media space to be 825GB? Because one can easily presume that lost space is a system partition with an potentially excessive amount of reserved space for future OS upgrades.

As per usual the consoles are pared to the bone and built to a price. Hidden costs everywhere, nothing new there.

Series S is ludicrous, it's a digital only console with enough space for about 5 or 6 full retail games on it. Why bother. Honestly.
How many people play 5 or 6 games at the same time though?

Not necessarily - for a fair comparison, how many people only have 5-6 games in their downloaded Steam library? Barely anyone. It’s convenience that’s being affected here, particularly with the standard AAA game being 100+GB in size.
No, I get it but what I'm saying is if you play a game and then don't need it then it can be moved to an external drive for storage.

All three consoles have the actual SSD space usable by the user a lot lower than it's max capacity. There are things like OS, quick resume, etc - that take that much space.

It's not great, but it's not only a PS issue, it's also an Xbox one. XSX has about 800GB usable, PS5 660GB usable and XSS 360GB.

Also you don't need a 2TB gen4 SSD as fast as the PS5 one, all you need is a 2TB external USB drive for keeping all you games that you do not actively play. XSS is the one that suffers the most, but PS5 should be fine with 5-10 games (depending on their size) installed on the PS5 SSD and the rest in the backup drive.

No one plays more than 5 games at the same time and copying a game from external to internal drive takes like 10-20 min, not 1-2 hours (it's faster than transferring to PS4/XB1)...

This issue is blown out of proportion. It is an issue, but a small one. People like to complain about every little thing nowadays.

This argument hasn't worked for me. How many people use more than five or six apps on their phone every day? Well, probably actually not that many. There are just a few in strong rotation.

Yet you'll all have fifty installed because for that few seconds per month you really want to use it, you want to do it immediately. Not wait a mere two minutes re-downloading it.

I don't want a console, PC or even phone for that matter where I have to spend not two but a good ten minutes moving data out and ten minutes getting it back just to have a dabble on something.

It's pure madness to have a digital only machine with such a tiny amount of storage space available. It's a compromise few will accept I suspect. This machine needs to have it's SSD doubled in size immediately if it is to have any chance of surviving more than 18 months before being discontinued.

PS5 review unit allegedly has only 667GB of storage
Why would Sony send out units to reviewers with less storage than advertised?

This has already been disclosed and known months ago.

Digital Foundry have already done a video about it why it's that size.

No one.

But it would be great, if you can flip between CoD with your friends, play Gran Turismo because is your passion, play the exclusives that you bought the PS5 for, play Astro with your kids, play FIFA because you love the sport, and not have to go back and forth with downloads. I am sure 600 GB won't necessarily fit all these games once they are released. Maybe with 1 TB expansion sure.

There are already many games in my PS4 collection that I have a slight urge to play again right now, like MGSV or FFXV, but I probably won't want to once I re-downloaded everything. Which could take hours. Granted, part of the issue right now is that the download speed on PS4 is so bloody slow, it is nowhere near the max speed I can get and the PS5 might handle it better. My choice is limited by things that I have no concern on my PC.

But this issue is overblown as everyone has stated, XBX will get that too, you can't use your OS space for storage after all. But is still an issue.

What is the surprise? It has been known for several months, that the PS5 would only have around 650GB of free space for the user to install games.
The rest would be used for the OS and for the SSD over-provisioning.
Sony should not send review units for people with only half a brain.

No, I get it but what I'm saying is if you play a game and then don't need it then it can be moved to an external drive for storage.
and how many people are going to have that? Most people I know who use consoles don’t have external drives connected to them.

And, again, convenience. Now you have to manage your external drive and make sure there is enough space to move a game off of your internal drive if you want to play another game. And with games now pushing over 200GB, that means for every 3-4 games you’ll need another external drive, unless you buy a multi Terrabyte one, then get ready to wait several hours to transfer all that data.

This is why they should be using bigger SSDs, not faster ones. 8TB M.2 drives exist, and I’m guessing Sony won’t approve them, because Sony

and how many people are going to have that? Most people I know who use consoles don’t have external drives connected to them.
Honestly, I don't have a clue but my guess would be at least as many people that need to have 6+ games installed and ready. Most people I know on consoles don’t need even half that many games ready.

Back