PSU burned out. MOBO guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Three months ago my computer started to behave weirdly, with erratic reboots, no-turn on, etc. I figured out that I had a faulty PSU (a cheap one) so I replaced the crappy PSU with a Fortron/Sparkle 400W. Now this one just burned out. It attempts to start when I press ON, but in a fraction of a second it shuts off and then nothing happens. I withdrew the PSU and confirmed that the burnt smell comes from it and not from the MOBO, and there is some melted plastic inside the PSU.

Questions.
Should I expect to get a warranty replacement for the PSU? (3 months old).

Should I suspect that the MOBO affected the PSU?

I should mention that the MOBO has a couple of inflated caps (one of them even has a hole on top). However, the computer worked fine as long as the PSU did too.

The most recent change was the addition of a PCI wireless card.

MOBO is a PCCHIPS M810D

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading.

Could be the MOBO causing the short but I'd get a warranty replacement for the PSU as you haven't knowingly done anything to cause it's failure.
PCCHIPs there's a name to put fear into the heart of the most experienced PC technician, I generally just throw them away and replace them with something that's not going to cause me massive headaches.
Blown caps? That's like saying your brakes don't work properly but you've not had an accident yet, it's gonna happen sooner or later as they don't generally put redundant bits in your PC just in case something fails.

Thanks paulla. So you wouldn't put a new psu with this mobo, right?
Do you think mobo is most likely to have done the damage, or are there other possibilities (such as monitor, etc)?

cheers

Could be you're pulling an inordinate amount of power....but I doubt it. Have you checked the quality of the wiring that you're connected to in your home outlets? Are they properly grounded. That could be a potential for a lot of power issues.

Well, the guy at the store tested the psu and it works, so I'll make paulla happy and buy an Asus mobo.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back