PSU mounts at front of desktop case

A

ajac63

Received delivery of a desktop case earlier today and discovered that the PSU mounts are at the front of the case. This means that the power socket and power switch has to be facing inwards, so I will have to push the switch to ON before closing-up the case after assembly. I'm thinking this is a design fault, right?

Thanks for helping :) Here's a pic from the e-tailer's own website...
newPCcase_zpsbjw7ft1x.png

As you can see, there is no mounting, etc, at the rear of the case for a PSU. There's only apertures for rear I/O shield and PCIe cards, etc. The cut-out/vent for the PSU is at the front-left (as you look at it) of the case, so I would o.c have to turn it around, otherwise how do I plug the power cord in and press the switch to ON?? The case is made in China as are most things... Or Taiwan or somewhere... Surely this is a design fault?

Surely not a standard ATX.

"In terms of fit into a given PC chassis, most tower and moderate-size desktop chassis accept full-size, or ATX, power supplies (not to be confused with the ATX motherboard form factor). Some compact or SFF PC chassis require a smaller PSU form factor, known as SFX. Other small chassis require smaller, proprietary PSUs (which, typically, will come with the case)."
from article http://www.computershopper.com/feature/buying-a-pc-case-20-terms-you-need-to-know

Consider cutting your losses and returning the case and getting another one. This time, of course, paying close attention to the details. If that's not an option, then you will have to use a dremel type tool to cut out an opening for the power supply's switch and power plug.

Consider cutting your losses and returning the case and getting another one. This time, of course, paying close attention to the details. If that's not an option, then you will have to use a dremel type tool to cut out an opening for the power supply's switch and power plug.
I tend to agree with you, although the way the case is angled is a bit deceptive imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely not a standard ATX.

"In terms of fit into a given PC chassis, most tower and moderate-size desktop chassis accept full-size, or ATX, power supplies (not to be confused with the ATX motherboard form factor). Some compact or SFF PC chassis require a smaller PSU form factor, known as SFX. Other small chassis require smaller, proprietary PSUs (which, typically, will come with the case)."
from article http://www.computershopper.com/feature/buying-a-pc-case-20-terms-you-need-to-know
Yes, but this case was detailed as an ATX/mATX case, so I assumed it accepted standard ATX PSU's.
However, I could of course just push the switch to ON before closing-up the case.

"this case was detailed as an ATX/mATX case" - then they were mistaken. Bad description.
Well, I test-fitted an old ATX PSU I had lying around and it does fit inside the case, it's just that the mounts are in an odd place at the front of the case. But, nevertheless, I'll either have to return it or do the work-around of switching the PSU to ON before closing up the case...

While you might be satisfied to switch the PSU on and close the case, I would be concerned about heat and ventilation paths. The exposure of the rear facing panel of the ATX PSU allows full exhaust of heat buildup inside the PSU. Not assuring this, you may have 'barbecued' PSU.

If it doesn't properly exhaust, it is not up to ATX spec (see p. 25 http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.PDF )

I remember years ago buying a really strange case - the designer had gone to great lengths to make it 'thin' and it turned out that I had to disassemble the box to get things into it.

ps Do not burn your house down!

While you might be satisfied to switch the PSU on and close the case, I would be concerned about heat and ventilation paths. The exposure of the rear facing panel of the ATX PSU allows full exhaust of heat buildup inside the PSU. Not assuring this, you may have 'barbecued' PSU.

If it doesn't properly exhaust, it is not up to ATX spec (see p. 25 http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.PDF )

I remember years ago buying a really strange case - the designer had gone to great lengths to make it 'thin' and it turned out that I had to disassemble the box to get things into it.

ps Do not burn your house down!
Yes, I agree with this. The additional jaw-dropping problem is that if the power socket and switch of the PSU has to face inwards, then where do the m'board and drive cables go? The front panel of the case would be in the way - LOL! A sideways orientation doesn't work either because of the side panel or drives cage... So a bad design altogether.
Anyway, the e-tailer has sent me a reply-paid sticker to put on the box so I can return it at no cost to myself, so at least they've been reasonable about this. They've agreed to either replace it with a standard mATX/ATX case up to the value of what I paid, or a refund if one isn't available.
What gets me about all this is that they must have sold this case before and received similar complaints, so why do they still feature it on their website.

Certainly an expensive method for doing business. It could be that they do not know their product (image of 'helpful' relative in the business - laughter from the audience).

Glad it sorts out.

Certainly an expensive method for doing business. It could be that they do not know their product (image of 'helpful' relative in the business - laughter from the audience).

Glad it sorts out.
Or at least they're not testing or checking some of them. As an after thought, this reminds me of some proprietry desktop cases from yesteryear that did have two-stage power cords leading to the PSU at the front. The main switch was often also at the front or the side.

I registered specifically to ask - what's the make and model of that case? I am looking for something exactly like that.

10 years ago I bought the NZXT Duet with a similar arrangement and really like it. The PSU is in front because the case is as tall as the motherboard - meaning more compact than the traditional layout.

Come on guys, this case is for low powered systems with external psu. You would kill your pc if you locked a psu inside it with no fresh ventalation

Back